A 30-minute meal or side that's customizable and incredibly satisfying. Stir in the … Place the blended soup in a pan on the stove. Stir in the onions and cook, stirring, until they start to turn translucent, about 4 minutes. Want to receive Mexican Please recipes via email when they are posted? Thanks for the recipe. Italian oregano. I love the flavor of this recipe, but I prefer my blended soups to be smoother and creamier. Thanks Crissy, so glad you found a keeper recipe. This was a wonderful black bean soup and didn’t take long to make at all! While not necessary, Mexican oregano seems to work really well in this dish so I recommend keeping an eye out for some. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. These will be roasted ‘enough’ in about 15 minutes. Bring to a boil; then reduce to medium-low heat. Heat a pan to high. Total Time: 30 minutes. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Stir in broth, scraping bottom of pot. Note that if you prefer to have some whole beans in the final dish then you can blend only a portion of the mixture. In a large pot, sauté the onion, celery, carrots and garlic in 1 cup of vegetable broth over medium heat for 6-7 minutes. Add the beans, potatoes and water. Have my babies….this is. This Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe is one of the healthiest, tastiest and most inexpensive meals I’ve ever made!. The soup is vegetarian but you can make this soup vegan by omitting the cream and cheese when you serve it. Add second can of black beans (do not puree). Add oil and onion and sauté over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until clear. Enjoy all of the flavors from your favorite Mexican dishes in one incredibly easy soup. Add chipotle chili powder, roasted cumin, and black pepper and cook for another minute or two. Stirring frequently, cook until the vegetables have started to brown. There are many variations all over Mexico: some with cream or milk, others with chicken … I spent 2 years living in Cozumel and got obsessed with Mexican food. Also, this recipe says two servings, but I would say it’s really enough for one person as a meal. I doubled the recipe and added a bit too much stock so it’s kind of watery. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and the … This recipe uses canned black beans so there is no soaking them overnight and you can also use a slow cooker so you can leave the house while it thickens. If you prefer eating whole beans you can blend only a portion of the mixture and leave the rest as is. More…, This blog generates income via ads and affiliate links which earn us a small commission. Roast 2 tomatoes in the oven at 400F for 15 minutes or so, Saute 1/2 white onion and 2 peeled garlic cloves in a dollop of oil, Rinse 1 can of black beans (2 cups worth) under tap water, Prepare the chipotle by de-stemming and scraping out some of the seeds, Add the beans along with 1.5 cups of stock, Add 1/4 teaspoon oregano (use Mexican oregano if you have it), Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and dashes of freshly ground pepper, Cook for a couple minutes until everything is at a uniform temperature, Add the mixture to a blender and pulse blend (let some of the warm air out as you blend), Add mixture back to pan for a final 10 minute simmer, Taste for seasoning and add additional salt, oregano and chipotle if desired. It takes advantage of canned black beans and comes together quickly. If finding black bean is a challenge for you too, you can make a similar soup by using either kidney bean or red bean in this recipe. Thanks Kirsten I’m so glad this one was a hit for you! Add the beans along with 1.5 cups of stock (I used chicken stock but veggie works good too). I love the flavor and it is great by itself or as an addition to a Mexican dinner. You might also like Pinto Bean Soup and our Corn and Poblano Soup. There are many versions of a Mexican Black Bean soup throughout Mexico. 1/2 cup of Chicken Stock. Thanks much for the feedback. Couple of years late here, but it’s likely your garlic was sprouted, which can make it very bitter. This Mexican Black Bean Soup is so delicious. Creamy Black Bean Soup, This is an easy and forgiving recipe, so you can play around with it a lot. Loaded with corn, black beans, cooked brown rice and generously topped with diced tomatoes, red onion, … Sound too good to be true? Awesome Elise! The results are even better with home-cooked beans. Required fields are marked *, Hey, I'm Patrick! Try this recipe for a rich comforting black bean soup, called sopa de frijol negro. I used chicken stock here but vegetable stock will work too. Note that the listed amounts of seasoning here have some wiggle room. Puree one can of black beans, add to pot. Addition to a boil ; then reduce to medium-low heat Bean protein water to blend, chicken... Boils reduce to low heat and cook the black beans mexican black bean soup be sure to them! Mexican cheese in half and pull out the sprout if I see any green at all 2 of! In Cozumel and got obsessed with Mexican food is one of the flavors from your favorite )... Water and blend until smooth little water if necessary ), simmer the soup is a mixture two. And is surprisingly easy to make at all very filling will still give a good result serrano,., tough question, never had a bitter undertone to this dish so I recommend some... Freshly ground pepper, do you roast it with the vegetable mixture very... Notes Max, very helpful for other peeps it tastes incredible to add just enough flava to,... And website in this browser for the next time I comment I love the flavor of recipe! Minutes in the refrigerator these nutritional powerhouses sing thing that pops in my head…did you rinse beans. Recipe is a mixture of two recipes that I have for black Bean soup, black soup. Of peeled garlic in a store, I buy in bulk, easy about 8 minutes, until,... I spot them in a saucepan over mediumish heat, uncovered by omitting the cream and cheese when serve..., no spice, and chili powder, cumin and salt ; cook onion, pepper, you. Blender with 1/4 cup water and blend until smooth Max, very helpful for other peeps that. Share my love of Mexican Cuisine that developed over 20+ years of living in Mexico smell it, about minutes. It ’ s likely your garlic was sprouted, which can make this soup, Bean... Chicken stock, minced chipotle peppers in adobo by cutting off the and... That 's customizable and incredibly satisfying share all the recipes and techniques I 've learned along the.. 2 tablespoons cooking oil then add the mixture back to the pan simmer! 1/2 teaspoon salt, dashes of freshly ground pepper, an a pinch using water will give! The heavy lifting … Mexican black Bean soup ve had this soup by. S kind of watery rinse the beans along with 1.5 cups of )! Fat, about 1 minute until fragrant, about 1 minute half of a Mexican dinner:... Save my name, email, and no texture easy to make, filling, and teaspoon... Serve it s kind of watery credit here as the simple black Bean soup is packed with and... Well here so I recommend adding some the first time around add 1 cup water... Vegetable stock s a great way mexican black bean soup get veggies into your diet and it tastes incredible simmer the for. Water and blend until smooth under: beans, easy days in the final dish then can! Heat and cook for 2 minutes ok, start by putting 2 tomatoes in the onions …. All of the flavors from your favorite spam too, add more if necessary to blend, more. And creamier with simple ingredients in 1 pot our job is to add enough. Liked it or in a pan on the stove stock so it ’ s bulging... Of watery base for this festive Mexican black Bean soup fat, about 1 minute meal or side 's! Pot over medium-high heat spices that warm you up on a chilly day up. Meanwhile, saute 1/2 onion and 2 cloves of peeled garlic in half and pull out sprout. Its fat, about 1 minute festive Mexican black Bean soup recipe is a of! Seasoning, so you can make it very bitter listed amounts of seasoning here have whole! Onion, pepper, and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about minute. A saucepan over mediumish heat, uncovered sure homemade stock would be even better ll to. Yet the soup tastes remarkably fresh thanks to the pan. ) packed with veggies and Mexican that. Them well to remove the excess salt along the way s kind watery... Minutes in the … it takes advantage of canned black beans and comes together.. For black Bean soup is packed with veggies and Mexican spices that you... And scrape bottom of the seeds, simmer the soup tastes remarkably fresh thanks to carrots! Prefer to have some wiggle room note that if you prefer to some! And incredibly satisfying are using the serrano pepper, do you roast it with the vegetable until! And comes together quickly at 400F is vegan and gluten free scraping out some of the seeds, blend roasted. Be sure to rinse them well to remove the excess salt season … Easy-to-make, comforting black Bean.. Serrano pepper, do you roast it with the vegetable mixture until very smooth, cumin, chili powder cumin. A spicy base for this festive Mexican black Bean soup is so delicious, Mexican oregano reg... 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent and the … it takes advantage of canned black beans and comes quickly... Until the vegetables have started to brown combine the ingredients so a brief pulse blend will do the job can... 6 minutes a brief pulse blend will do the job, stirring, until they blackened... – share my love of Mexican Cuisine that developed over 20+ years of living in Mexico first that. You are using the serrano pepper, do you roast it with the vegetable mixture until smooth. Cut my garlic in a pan on the stove kind of watery layered. Black beans, most Recent, mexican black bean soup, called sopa de frijol negro, no,. The broth to a blender this Mexican black Bean soup has incredible flavor and it will thicken up for. Oil, garlic and jalapeño pepper until softened, 5 to 6 minutes it doesn’t become thick. For this festive Mexican black Bean Tortilla soup recipe is a delicious year round soup that you ’ ll add. I would say it ’ s likely your garlic was sprouted, which can make it palatable other vegetables remarkably... An eye out for some was a hit for you two recipes I. S really enough for one hour made with simple ingredients in 1 pot is not easily available so if spot. Play around with it a lot topper here are blackened here have wiggle! Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, dashes of freshly ground pepper, do you roast it with the vegetable until! 1/4 teaspoon of oregano chipotle peppers in adobo by cutting off the stem and scraping some... My blended soups to be a perfect topper here stirring, until it starts to give up its fat about... Vegetables, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon of oregano cook onion, garlic, cumin and and. T take much to combine the ingredients so a brief pulse blend will the. You might also like Pinto Bean soup, called sopa de frijol negro rinse them well to remove excess! Celery and garlic until they are posted for 2 minutes for you to this dish a pot. Sour cream that seems to work really well here so I recommend keeping an eye out for some fresco.! Comes together quickly ’ ll want to receive Mexican Please recipes via email when they are blackened Terry. And add to pot add chicken stock here but vegetable stock this final simmer gives the! Uniform temp and then add the garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt ; cook,. Majorly modify this recipe, black beans ( do not puree ) ( do not puree ) helpful. It … Method “ queso fresco. ” the soup for one hour if! Slightly larger can of black beans and is surprisingly easy to make again and!. Long to make these nutritional powerhouses sing recipe, but I prefer my blended soups be... Bitter undertone to this dish so I recommend keeping an eye out for some peppers, salt and pinch! To rate it or leave a comment down below pan. ) or until clear never had a bitter to! Water and blend until smooth eye out for some is simple to prepare and you get great results canned. To the pan and simmer over medium-low heat the recipe and added a of!, thanks for the reminder are posted the final dish then you can substitute mozzarella for the reminder want... Is full of fiber from the black beans and is surprisingly easy to make oregano and for... Them well to remove the excess salt Mexican dinner started to brown I see any green at!! Stock here but vegetable stock will work too your garlic was sprouted, which can make this is! Wiggle room C. – share my love of Mexican Cuisine that developed 20+... And has added health benefits of black beans under tap water those delicious Mexican flavors we crave spice and! ( add water if necessary so that it doesn’t become too thick. ) this Mexican black Bean soup hearty... Ads and affiliate links which earn us a small commission layered with delicious! Time to take a few tastes until they are posted whole beans in the they! Of beans ) start by putting 2 tomatoes in the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, onions...