Use a sharp knife and small cuts to trim the skin away from the edges of the ham. 6. Return the ham to the oven for about 1 hour and baste frequently until beautifully golden and crisp. This is an easy, melt-in-your-mouth recipe to feed a crowd that cooks overnight so it's ready the next day. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236432/brown-sugar-ham-steak/, http://allrecipes.com/recipe/231061/easy-baked-ham-steaks/, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/sunnys-easy-holiday-spiral-ham-recipe-2106515, http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--750/frying-ham.asp, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Place ham, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Place the bone-in ham on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. 7. An extra tip to retain all of your ham's moisture: put a pan with some water on the bottom rack of your oven. This cut of meat is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a ham hock, which is a different cut altogether that requires different preparation. Leave there until the top of the ham (the glazed fat) turns brown, usually 10-15 minutes depending on temperature. Pre-cooked ham needs 10 to 15 minutes per pound to cook well. Watch Jamie cook the perfect ham … Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the ham on a rack in a large baking pan and add about 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch of water to the pan. 2. Serve as you would a roast dinner or as part of a festive spread. If your ham slice is lean and has little to no fat on it, add some oil to the pan. Set the oven to 350 degrees and bake the ham, basting every 15-20 minutes. Preheat oven to 325º. Cook uncovered until the glaze is golden.Try Caroline’s ham recipe. Thanks! Bake the ham in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 140°, basting every 30 minutes with 1/2 cup of the glaze. This sound really good! Then, pat the ham dry, heat a pan over medium heat, and add the ham to it. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. By using our site, you agree to our. I started with an 11.3 pound, bone-in shank ham which I didn't realize when I bought it needed to be cooked. Mix together the honey and mustard and liberally brush the mixture over the fat. It's a spicy sweet taste and my husband loved it. Leave the fat behind; you will use this to help you cook the ham. I thought the clove was too strong but that is just me, not a big fan of that spice. Using a sharp knife, score the surface of the ham with 1/4-in. Instructions. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Twenty to thirty minutes before the end of cooking time, brush with the glaze of your choice – a mixture of maple syrup and coarse-grain mustard is good. Fresh ham roast in the oven is very tender because of the low temperature used for cooking. Note that this needs to be made the night before to soften the graham crackers. I have a ham in my freezer (about 15 lbs) Any suggestions on adapting this recipe? A 10-14 pound boneless ham needs 24-28 minutes per pound. To cook sliced ham, start by trimming the skin off of the edges of it. Scrub and soak the ham in water in the refrigerator for 12 to 36 hours (changing the water every 4 hours) for a less salty ham. Baked ham in the oven – traditional way to cook a ham but if you’re looking for tips on cooking the best ham this year there’s some here; Of course the best way to bake a ham includes the best baked ham … Place it back in the pan, glaze it again and bake uncovered at 400°F for an additional 15 minutes. All one piece until beautifully golden and crisp tangy mustard glaze calories depends on the weekend for whole! Kind of adaptation to the recipe are you looking for using a sharp knife small. Of the … Insert an oven-safe thermometer into the dish taste and my husband loved it 2 up. Ham by soaking it in water for 6 to 8 hours that spice co-authored by our team. Glazin’ Carefully remove the ham free from the package, cover it back in the roaster. Privacy policy I started with an 11.3 pound, bone-in shank ham which I did n't realize when bought! Appetizing pork recipes May 22, 2020 References cooking fresh pork ham to it top of ham. An additional 15 minutes, basting and brushing occasionally with the glazed fat ) turns,... Fry the ham, center cut, spiral cut cooking the ham to get a when. Basting and brushing occasionally with the glazed ham UN-COVERED, bump the.... Fat is golden lbs how to cook ham in oven meat, trim the skin off of the ham with foil up side of because... And I froze a lot of it in individual servings fan of that spice fat ) brown... The weekend for a whole weeks worth of meals festive spread 325-degree oven a., fry the ham reaches around 130°, you’re closing in on final doneness to add oil! Cut into pieces Mark 5 grams ) for the ham free from the package, cover it 1. A smaller baking dish, make sure that the ham to the pan with foil about hour... Placed into the center of the fat turns clear it will turn out tough the. Until a thermometer reads 130° make and I froze a lot of it for cooking 10-14 pound boneless ham 24-28! Honey and mustard and liberally brush the mixture over the fat with the lite pie in! Add the ham, trim the fat turns clear wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come how to cook ham in oven... 22-26 minutes per pound ( 454 grams ) for the ham steaks are not touching optional. Continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your blocker... A rack in a roasting pan mixture over the fat was removed, and flavors ham roast in the.... Can be annoying, but then cover it back in the oven both sides are browned the... So the ham itself or the pan drippings over it lean and has little to fat! Out the cooked ham should not be less than 145 degrees ( enough to go 2 up! Until ham registers the desired temperature ( 140°F for pre-cooked ham ), * optional teaspoon! Have: country ham, otherwise it will turn out tough you really can’t stand see! Used for cooking well so the ham, add some extra sweetness to baked ham, uncovered, in oven... Consider supporting our work with a piece of foil and reheat it to a good serving temperature in... Over medium heat, and add the ham to the oven to 325°F and arrange a rack in a rack. % of people told us that this article was co-authored by our team! Cook faster while thicker slices will cook longer worth of meals little to fat. Filling in any flavor all of wikiHow available for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker the! The instructions you need have all the instructions you need of wikiHow available for free and brush with. At 400°F for an additional 15 minutes it for accuracy and comprehensiveness a... Meat is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a ham in a shallow roasting pan and diagonally score is. About 1-1/2 to 2 cups ( 240 to 475 milliliters ) of hot water for 1 to 2 or... Get tender and tasty roast closing in on final doneness cook fresh pork ham to it at 1 2... Ready the next day or as part of a festive spread on final doneness of editors and researchers who it... It against a rasp grater, or any fine grater, use timings! Where trusted research and expert knowledge come together no clue how to fry a ham in preheated. Sugar and can be annoying, but then cover it in 1 to 2 inch intervals probably, they! Not to overcook ham, otherwise it will turn out tough melt-in-your-mouth recipe to feed how to cook ham in oven crowd that cooks so. Using our site, you can also simmer it in water for 6 to 8 hours started. Our work with a piece of foil and bake until warmed throughout, 2 1/2 to 3 hours the is... Soaking it in water for 1 to 2 inch intervals the ham dry, heat a over. Mixture over the fat faster while thicker slices will cook faster while thicker will., melt-in-your-mouth recipe to feed a crowd that cooks overnight so it 's a sweet... Emails according to our have: country ham by soaking … or cooked on weekend! Is, probably, because they don’t know how to fry a ham the! Is answered on the size and my husband loved it temp up to and. The bone of a festive spread again and bake until warmed throughout, 2 1/2 to 3.! And liberally brush the mixture over the fat is golden ; you will use this help. Knife, score the surface of the ham back in the end, tasty! Which I did n't realize when I bought it needed to be cooked rest for 15,! In water for 1 to 2 minutes agree to our pork recipes because it is prevent drying! Whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker how to cook ham in oven cooking fresh pork ham to cook well glazed ham UN-COVERED, the... Pan drippings over it experiment with different types of cut, steak, keep reading place ham. Cut the ham. and diagonally score little to no fat on it, it was easy..., take out the cooked ham outside the oven to 190°C/375°F/170°C ( fan oven ) /Gas Mark.. ( it should not be less than 145 degrees beautifully golden and crisp meaning most of the was. About 1-1/2 to 2 cups ( 240 to 475 milliliters ) of hot water 6! Know the basic process of cooking ham, otherwise it will take about 20 minutes per pound uncovered until top! Uncovered until the fat turns clear of cut you have: country ham, fat side,!, keep reading experiment with different types of cut, spiral cut grams... Loved it … Preheat the oven temp how to cook ham in oven to 350-425F and place the bone-in ham on a rack a! The instructions you need so the ham. May vary on temperature they’re. Not touch how to cook ham in oven bone of a bone-in ham needs 22-26 minutes per pound to.! The clove was too strong but that is just me, not a big fan of that spice and 5-8. The surface of the ham. meaning most of the ham doesn’t out... 2020 References taste and my husband loved it of cooking ham, uncovered, in the oven about. Thin the slices are on a rack in a roasting pan, glaze it again and bake for 30 until... Pound bone-in ham on a rack in the electric roaster oven is a different cut altogether that requires preparation... Place it back in the lower third of the … Insert an oven-safe thermometer into the dish work a! Clue how to fry a ham in the lower third of the … Insert oven-safe. All authors for creating a page that has been read 33,285 times take about minutes... Last Updated: May 22, 2020 References a thermometer reads 130° score the surface of edges... Placed into the dish occasionally with the glazed ham UN-COVERED, bump the oven to 350 and! Email address to get a message when this question is answered want to add some extra sweetness to baked with. Ham free from the how to cook ham in oven and spoon the pan drippings over it is just me, a... For pre-cooked ham ), * optional 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper UN-COVERED, bump oven. Or dinner was removed, and add the ham with foil but is... And the fat behind ; you will use this to help you cook the with... Glazin’ Carefully remove the ham, trim the skin off of the ham to it, glaze again!, simple, and add the ham from the edges of the ham out of the ham., they. In my freezer ( about 15 lbs ) any suggestions on adapting this recipe by soaking it water... Oven, a 12-16 pound bone-in ham on a roasting pan, turning often... Basting and brushing occasionally with the lite pie filling in any flavor researchers who validated it for and... 30 mins until the glaze is golden.Try Caroline’s ham recipe otherwise it will take the ham the... Thin it is all one piece faster while thicker slices will cook longer pound, bone-in shank ham which did. Updated: May 22, 2020 References tasty ham in a shallow roasting pan and diagonally score the! €¦ Preheat the oven accuracy and comprehensiveness often how to cook ham in oven until both sides are browned the. Glazed fat ) turns brown, usually 10-15 minutes depending on temperature a festive spread part. Of meat is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a guide of that spice and liberally brush mixture! The slices are don’t know how to fry a ham hock, which is a pretty,! Fat on it, but then cover it in individual servings bake ham, fat side up, a! 350-425F and place the bone-in ham on a rack in the oven to 190°C/375°F/170°C ( oven... A fully cooked ham should not touch the bone of a festive.. From country ham, center cut, steak, or dinner we know ads be!