If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Top with another paper towel and continue layering and stacking leaves and paper towels. A food dehydrator is a great tool for drying herbs in bulk, especially if it has a mesh insert that keeps leaves from falling through. Do not use this method for herbs intended to be consumed for culinary or medicinal purposes. Oven drying herbs – This method is easy and all you need is a cookie sheet and your oven. It’s important to harvest herbs at the right time. An airtight container is recommended if you plan to use the herbs in cooking. How to Dry Herbs. « Everything You Need To Know About DIY Chicken Roosts, How To Prepare Your Chicken Coop For Winter », Harvest herbs before the weather changes. These include bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and sage. This makes it easier when it comes time to store or used the dried herbs, so that you don't have to wait for the next bunch to dry. Damp herbs will mold and rot. Plan a day to harvest when you can clip your herbs after sunrise and before early afternoon. Microwave on high for 1 minute. You can also use this method with individual leaves. Pull the leaves from the stems, clean and dry them, and place them on your baking sheet. Please know that I only recommend resources and items I believe in and highly recommend. Oven-dried herbs will cook a little, removing some of the potency and flavor, so you may need to use a little more of them in cooking. While you can dry almost any herb for later use, some herbs retain their flavor more (and longer) than others, making them a better choice. Use rubber bands rather than string for drying. Let the soil dry out in between waterings. Air drying is another popular ways to dry herbs. Dried herbs usually hold their flavor for about six months. This is the least preferred method for drying. Hang or lay the herb branches out where they will get plenty of air circulation so they can dry out quickly. Read through the rest of this article before you decide on the method you would like to use. Make sure your herbs are completely dry of moisture before starting any of these methods. Place the herbs into small bundles. This post may contain affiliate links. The herbs best used for this rack include rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, marjoram and flower buds. Remove any dry or diseased leaves from the cut herbs. If the drying of 2 minutes proves too long and the herbs have dried out too much, use a new set of herbs and reduce the drying time by 30 seconds. If you're doing a set of herb bundles, you might consider keeping the bundles sizes similar, so that the drying times coincide. An old window screen can be used if clean and in decent shape. Position such a screen to allow the air to move freely both sides of the screen. ", "Nice informative video for those of us trying to store our overabundant herb harvest. If you’ve washed them, they’ve been in the rain, or they have dew on them, pat them dry with paper towels and allow them to air out before drying them. Filed Under: Gardening, Homesteading, Preserving the Harvest, Hi there, my name is Tracy and I am a city girl gone country. Air has to circulate freely around both sides of the leaf for the fastest drying. Timing is everything. Throw out any dried herbs with signs of mold, it will only spread to other leaves. Once they’re completely dry, place a clean, dry paper towel on a microwave plate, place your leaves on top of it, and cover with another clean, dry paper towel. Or, if your herbs look pretty clean, you can just shake them gently to get rid of any residual dust or dirt. Your leaves should be dried and ready to store in two to three days. Some herbs are easier to dry than others owing to their stronger leaves and oils. To dry sturdy, low moisture herbs, like rosemary, thyme, dill, savory, sage, and parsley, cut whole branches of the plant and gently rinse in cool water. Store in airtight containers. Start by separating the leaves from the stems and gently wash them if your herbs were grown outdoors then dry them well with a paper towel. Herbs are incredibly easy to grow—and tend to grow in abundance! This process works best with herbs that don’t have a high moisture content such as Dill, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Summer Savory … If not, continue checking at 20-30 second intervals until the leaves are dried and crisp. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Rack drying herbs – This is another form of air drying but it requires a warm and airy spot out of direct light like. To dry herbs in a microwave, strip leaves off of the stems and place the leaves between layers of paper towels. It can be useful for craft though. Herbs’ Health. Fresh herbs from your garden that you can use all winter long. ", for medicinal and craft uses. Use a half opened paperclip as a hook and hang each bunch upside down in a warm (70-80 F), dry area making sure your herbs are out of direct sunlight. in Gardening· Homesteading· Preserving the Harvest. plants die. SLCG PRO TIP: If you have never dried herbs before, don’t fill your cart with supplies just yet! By this list, you can see there are various ways to dry herbs and you’ll need different equipment for each method so be sure to decide how you will dry them before you harvest them. When their color fades, it’s time to discard them. To learn how to dry your herbs in the oven, keep reading! Method 5: Machine Drying Many herbs will shrivel and look browned and nondescript after drying. Then simply tie sprigs or branches together with string or bind them with a rubber band. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. It’s all about making more of what we need so we spend less, save oodles of money and live better! High temperatures will destroy herbs; avoid using too much heat for drying. How to Dry Fresh Basil. How to Tell if Your Herbs are Dry Enough Cover with a second paper towel. Herbs that are great for drying include: rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley, basil, mint, lavender. I thought about making infused oils for Christmas gifts with herbs from my garden. When leaves are dry, remove them from their stems and store in … Site uses, "This article answered every question I had about drying herbs for cooking, and went further to include drying herbs, "I was given a lovely herb planter with four different herbs in it and wanted to know the best way to preserve them, "Step-by-step directions for each drying method, what to expect, and uses of the herbs depending on the drying, "I am very new to growing and drying herbs. I will try drying them indoors. To see if the herbs are dry, check if leaves crumble easily. ", knowledge I gained when I was a child. Do be prepared to experiment as drying times can vary wildly depending on the herbs and using the microwave to dry herbs can be a very frustrating learning experience! It requires patience, though, since bundles won’t dry out overnight. This article helped. The reason for this is simple––rubber bands tighten around the herb stems that contract as they dry. A large, unused wooden picture frame works well; simply stretch the cloth over it, pull it tight, and staple it to the outside of the frame. ", "Thanks, the video helped a lot. To quickly dry herbs for cooking, pick the herbs you want, wash them gently in water, and lay them out on a towel. Drying herbs from your garden is a great way to take advantage of your harvest and so you can then use those herbs later in your kitchen. They should be picked before the flowers develop. Be selective. However, when working with it, wear a mask to avoid breathing in its fumes. Because of that, dried herbs tend to concentrate the flavor so you can use less of them in your recipes than if you are using fresh herbs. Then place the tray in an airing cupboard, in the warming drawer of an oven or in a warm, airy spot out of direct sunlight. Use an indoor clothesline, laundry rack, closet rod, or … Clear, concise and very useful information! Harvesting your Herbs: When you cut your herbs, but sure you are cutting them appropriately. Either way, you'll want to bring the herbs indoors when they are thoroughly dry. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Rack drying and microwave drying work well if you just have a few herbs to dry. Unless you’re replacing or removing the entire plant, never remove more than one-third of its branches at a time. When is the best time to harvest herbs from outside: You’ll need to gather a few tools before you harvest your herbs so that you’re ready to start drying when they’re freshly harvested. Then jump back up here and only buy the exact supplies you need to begin drying herbs for your pantry. Wet herbs will mold and rot. % of people told us that this article helped them. Some herbs, such as oregano, sage and thyme, can be air-dried. So, keep pinching the tops off your herbs. Dandelions are easy to identify and are part of the daisy family. Then hang the whole rack against a suitable wall. Attach the herbs from each peg, keeping them from resting against one another. Drying herbs in the microwave is easy to do and it’s the perfect way to dry just a few leaves at a time. Feeling trapped by your life and career? Approved. The best spot for drying herbs is dark (or at least out of direct sunlight), dry, clean, and free of smoke, dust, cooking oils, and steam. The photos are very helpful and the article easy to read. This article has been viewed 391,962 times. Alternatively, use a dish drying rack. If you are lucky to grow your own herb garden all year long outside like we do in Florida, then here are some tips here for you! Allow the bag to hang in a dark, dry area for about a week then test your leaves for dryness. Then, pick a drying surface, like a rack, screen, clothes hanger, or ladder, and hang up the herbs. Use your dried herbs within a year. Place a single layer of herbs on a paper towel on a microwave-safe plate. String doesn't, which means that the herbs can slip out and fall to the ground when hanging up to dry. 2. The best time to harvest any type of herb is before it starts to flower. Be sure the leaves are not touching each other. Some herbs can quickly catch mold because of a high moisture level, and such herbs should be dried as soon as possible. ", for use during the winter months. Parsley and similar herbs should be cut from the base working from the outside working in. I give them a spin in my salad spinner. This article received 19 testimonials and 95% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. Dehydrating. Once they’re completely dry, place a clean, dry paper towel on a microwave plate, place your leaves on top of it, and cover with another clean, dry paper towel. Tracy Lynn is the founder of Simple Living Country Gal and Our Simple Homestead. Once dry, crush until it is fine and store in a metal or dark spice bottle. But leave small, feathery herbs, like dill and fennel, on the stalks until drying is complete.Tarragon, bay, mint, lem… When your herbs are dry, take them out to let them cool for a good 15 to 20 minutes before you crumble them up to be placed in a spice container. Start by separating the leaves from the stems and gently wash them if your herbs were grown outdoors then dry them well with a paper towel. Air drying herbs – The paper bag method is best for herbs that don’t have a high moisture content like dill, oregano, rosemary, bay, marjoram, and thyme. Your email address will not be published. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 391,962 times. Set them on a clean towel to air dry for a few hours, making sure to spread the herbs so they’re not overlapping. ", https://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/articles/herbharv.html, https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/how-why-to-wash-fresh-herbs, https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-dry-herbs/, https://extension.illinois.edu/herbs/tips.cfm, http://www.gardenherbs.org/preserving_herbs.htm, https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EP/EP00400.pdf, https://www.bhg.com/gardening/vegetable/herbs/drying-herbs/, https://theherbalacademy.com/6-tips-for-storing-dried-herbs/, https://modernfarmer.com/2015/08/how-to-harvest-dry-herbs/, https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/drying/drying-herbs-zm0z13fmzmat, https://extension.psu.edu/lets-preserve-drying-herbs, ทำสมุนไพรตากแห้ง, जड़ी बूटियां सुखाएं, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Articles like this one have been such a great help to me to be able to find out how to take charge of my garden. The leaves have high moisture content and need to dry quickly to prevent molding. Cover a baking sheet with muslin, cheesecloth, or a silicone mat so the leaves don’t stick and set your oven to the lowest possible temperature, around 200 degrees. ", an easy-to-follow format and is very helpful and well thought out. Thank you! Dried herbs are also perfect for making rubs for meat and vegetables. 1. What are you waiting for! Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. This method is well-suited to large-leaved herbs, such as bay. SLCG PRO TIP: If your herb garden is outside, you’ll want to wash the leaves and stems and pat them dry with a paper towel before starting the drying process to make sure they’re free of insects and dirt. A cabinet or pantry works well. You can layer desiccant and herbs if wished; just be aware that the more weight on top, the more the plant matter beneath risks being crushed. NOTE: Another way to dry larger leaved herbs like mint, sage, and bay is to remove the individual leaves from the stems and lay them in single layers, without touching, on paper towel. Check them about every 4 days. A very simple drying rack can be made from a block of wood (shaped nicely if you like) with wooden pegs attached across it at even intervals. If using a paper bag, poke a few small holes in it to allow the air to circulate. As a general rule of thumb, a tablespoon of fresh herbs offers the same amount of flavor as a teaspoon of dried herbs. We’ll look at several methods and some simple tips you can use for drying herbs, but before we dive in, let’s go over some of the herbs that will retain most of their flavor in drying: Keep this list in your food presentation binder so you can remember where to best put your efforts when filling and stocking your homestead pantry. Thank you so much for information such as this article gave. Try using a little less when a recipe calls for fresh herbs and taste. Sometimes, you'll also need to choose between fragrance, taste or appearance and only go for the one that matters when all three cannot be kept by drying. Now I am teaching others how to do the same. Depending on the size of your herb bundles and the amount of humidity (keep the area dry and free of humidity), the drying process can take one to two weeks. Air drying, rack drying, and dehydrating methods will allow the herbs to retain most of their flavor while the oven and microwave methods will slightly cook the herbs, reducing their flavor so you’ll need to use a little more in your recipes. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Last Updated: November 5, 2020 If you want to reduce them to a fine powder, sieve them. And if you actually want flowers, then it makes sense to wait until the herb flowers first. This is especially true for herbs that have tender leaves, such as basil and bay leaf. Remove any leaves with signs of mold. The herbs should be dry in 2 to 4 weeks. A dried bay or rosemary leaf will usually retain its color and shape without any difficulty. Setting out a fan on the herbs will help them to dry quicker. But it all depends on what you're doing with the herbs and your immediate needs. I am a redneck frugal living goat owner and I am working everyday towards living a more simple life. For herbs with a higher moisture content like basil, mint, chives, and tarragon, try the food dehydrator method or the oven drying method. Dandelion. Drying times will likely vary if bundling together different types of herbs, so consider only making bundles of a single type of herb until you're more experienced and can mix the herbs knowing the drying times specific to each. The rack method works well if you want to speed up the air-drying method. Cook at the lowest setting for approximately two to … Put herbs in an open oven on low heat – less than 180 degrees F – for 2-4 hours. This will spread to the healthy leaves. ", "This article was very helpful. At this point, I also pick off any leaves that are yellowed, spotted, or discolored. Alternatively, to dry your herbs over time indoors, bundle them together with a rubber band around the stems. If your herbs were grown outside, clean and dry them well before starting. Dried herbs are generally three to four times stronger than the fresh herb. Leave the oven door cracked to allow any moisture to escape. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. But just because I am growing them doesn’t mean I won’t be filling my pantry with dried herbs too. If it’s still hot outside when you’re planning to dry your herbs, air drying is also helpful since you won’t have to turn on the oven and sweat it out in your home. Harvesting herbs at just the right time will ensure their flavor later on. There are 17 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. Keep your containers in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight. Through her blog, she has helped thousands learn to live a more simple life. Line up the stems and tie the stems with twine or ribbon. If I lived in the Northern States, I would have pots in the window sills growing them, nothing like fresh herbs in your meals! There is a right time of day that makes harvesting herbs better; after the morning dew has dried and before they start to wilt in the afternoon sun. Basil likes well-drained, sandy soil and does best in full sun. If your container is not airtight, the herbs will lose flavor and become stale. Choose herbs for drying. Turn the water in your sink off. Just hang small bunches in a well-ventilated room, away from light. However, almost all herbs can be dried in one or another. Silica gel is popular because it is light and won't crush the herbs; it is easily obtainable from craft stores. The air-drying method is probably the easiest method and it’s been used for hundreds of years. It simply requires a plate and a few paper towels. One of the reasons I love my kitchen herb garden is because the seasonings I need are right there all the time. But in a pinch, or if your home is particularly humid and you’re having trouble getting herbs to dry while hanging in bundles or on a rack, the oven might be a viable alternative . Tender broad leaved varieties can be a bit trickier, as they are easily affected by moisture and can quickly turn moldy if not dried properly. A drying rack can be rather large so keep this in mind before choosing this option. I want to dry the herbs so I can bring some of them home in the fall. This method deals with having dry fresh (and clean) herbs rather than dried herbs! Be sure to tie on securely in case of windy days. Trial and experiment is the best way to find out which herbs dry best for you, with the expectation that some herbs will shrivel up and look like a brown mess when dried, while others will retain color and texture well. Don’t over water your basil plants. Cook at the lowest setting for two to four hours until they’re completely dried. Enter for a chance to win the Homestead Holiday Giveaway! After the drying process is complete, store the dried herbs in an airtight container, whether it’s Tupperware, small glass Mason jars, takeout deli containers, or even Ziploc bags. The oven drying method does slightly cook the herbs however, in turn, removing some of the flavors, so you’ll need to use more when cooking with them. This “best herbs to dry” list is a great way to ensure your work is going towards spices that will taste just as good later as they do now. "My garden is thriving this summer, with more than I could possibly use. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. Freezing or drying freshly grown herbs will ensure that you have plenty of herbs from your garden to use all year long. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. After crushing the dried herb, can you use a non-airtight container? If I had only known it was this easy, I would have been doing this a long time ago. A pantry or kitchen cabinet will work well for this. Yellow or spotted leaves aren’t worth drying as their flavor has already been diminished. Then give it another round of 30 seconds in high power, and 30-seconds rest. Rinse with cool water only if necessary and pat dry with paper towels. Leave enough twine at the end so you can hang the bundles so the plant can dry. To dry your herbs, start on high power for 1 minute, then allow a 30-second rest. First, remove any damaged or dying leaves. How to Dry Herbs on a Rack. Storing Dried Herbs: Once dry you can hang them in decorative but useful bunches in the kitchen to pick from as required. To learn how to dry your herbs in the oven, keep reading! Oven Drying Basil. Herbs can be dried in an oven and will be suitable for culinary and medicinal purposes. They should be dry in about 1 week. If you have a dehydrator, this is the best method for bulk drying. Herbs that were born to drying include: lavender (will stay looking good for. Great goals for any gardening or homesteader. Poke holes into a paper bag and place your herb leaves inside. Air drying herbs is not only the easiest and least expensive way to dry fresh herbs, but this slow drying process also doesn’t deplete the herbs of their oils. This will help to keep dust out and it will catch any falling leave. Although generalist advice is to harvest herbs before the flowers open, it pays to experiment. When you see your herbs are in abundance, harvest and dry them immediately to retain flavor for months to come before they lose their freshness. You can also dry your herbs outside if you live in a dry climate, but keep in mind that the direct sunlight can fade the colors and extreme warmth can damage some of the vibrancy. You simply have to strip the leaves and place them in between paper towels. Damp herbs will go musty and moldy. Rinse basil & pat dry. It allows the leaves and sprigs more space and air circulates around them. The types of herbs in question include basil, parsley, mint, tarragon. ", "I like the idea of using an oven in case the air is too humid.". Dehydrator drying herbs – This method requires a food dehydrator with mesh racks so the leaves don’t fall through. Gently blot the oregano with dry paper towels to absorb most of the surface moisture. There are various methods of drying herbs that work well, some better than others depending on how you plan to use them later and how many you’re drying at once. It's also an easy one to do as once the herbs have been prepared, you can leave them to dry without having to do more. Harvest, dry, and use chickweed in herbal mixtures to dress candles or infuse into anointing oils. Remove leaves and lay on a paper towel. wikiHow's. I'm 71 years old, and lost my youngest son to cancer last year, and I, "I have herb planters up at my cottage and an abundant crop this summer. Shake the herbs or send them through a salad spinner to remove most of the water, then blot dry with a towel. Step 1 Cut the herbs into very small pieces, about a ¼-inch length, or less. Herbs dried in this method are for use in crafts or displays. I use a salad spinner to dry off the wet herbs using. The reason for this is that the herbs will tend to be bleached and lose their flavor. Many herbs lend themselves well to drying, and in some cases, you can dry the leaves, flowers and stem portions of an herb. Silica gel is poisonous. This is also known as the hang-drying method. All crushed or ground dried herbs should be stored in airtight containers away from direct light. Be sure to keep a close eye on the herbs, and stop the microwave if you smell the herbs burning. Wrap the bundles in muslin or place them in a thin paper bag. And the dehydrator method works well if you have a lot of herbs to dry all at once. I hate to waste them and just let the, "This was my first year to have a garden. Add a hanging device at the back and paint the words "herbs" or some leaves to remind you what it's for. My mom has been an avid gardener for decades. Herbs that have a strong flavor when fresh can retain that flavor when they’re dried. I am a beginner and it contains easy steps to follow. Basil and similar herbs should be cut from the top, just above a leaf nodule. Before drying herbs using any of the methods, these tips will ensure success: Drying herbs is a great way to preserve your harvest for later use in your kitchen or even a craft project liked scented candles or lotions. This will delay flowering and you can harvest more leaves throughout the season for using fresh or dried. You can read my full disclosure statement. When you’re ready to use them in a recipe, if you’ve stored them whole, simply pull the leaves off the stem and crumble the dried leaves right into your pot or mixing bowl. If using a screen, you'll need to turn the herbs daily to prevent curling. Shake your herbs dry and blot them with a paper towel. Air drying is good for tender leaved herbs. An expert shows how to escape. It’s best to dry herbs immediately after harvesting them to retain their flavor giving your dishes even more of a punch later on. It’s easier to add more than take away. Easy-to-understand instructions, with lots of choices and pictures. It all depends on which form will allow the herbs to hold their shape and flavor best. A basement, spare bedroom, or large closet can serve this purpose quite well. Avoid drying herbs in areas of high moisture, such as the bathroom and kitchen. Fresh herbs can die quickly, but drying them allows you to preserve them longer for later use, retaining flavor and preventing waste. This in no way affects your price. Avoid over drying the herbs or they may simply fall apart when handled. Herb seeds are best dried using the air drying method, allowing them to fall into a paper bag. Then tie the remaining leaves together at the stem and hang to dry in a place out of direct sunlight. Allow them to dry in a warm kitchen for at least 30 minutes before use. Strip large-leaved herbs, such as sage and mint, from their stalks. Just make a note on the jar so you remember that you used this method. Gently shake the sprigs to remove any insects that may have taken up residence. From growing their own food, making their own cleaning supplies, cutting back, and paring down. Dry basil has a more intense flavor when it is fresh but it degrades quickly. When they easily crumble, they’re ready to store. If you need dried herbs in a hurry for craft work, this method is excellent! You’ll need to make a drying rack by stretching muslin or cheesecloth over a wooden frame and affixing it. You can use your oven to help dry herbs quickly while still remaining fragrant. If the pot is heavy, the compost is too wet, so raise the pot off the ground to allow it … By using our site, you agree to our. Good going. Make sure you have the herbs laying in the same direction. Once dried, leave the oven door cracked so the heat can escape and leave the tray in the oven until the leaves are completely cooled. Place on a table or counter away from the sun. I am going to use the book one! Make sure the leaves are clean and undamaged and then put them in a single layer on each tray. Drying herbs is one of the best jumping-off points for preserving our own food. Learn how your comment data is processed. Wash your herbs and dry them as best you can. Step 2: Wash your herbs and pat them dry with a towel. Cutting back too much at once can be damaging to the plant. 2. Bake for about an hour, turning after 30 minutes for even drying, until the leaves crumble easily. If the herbs are not quite dry yet, continue drying them at … It’s best to pick and prepare one variety of herb for drying at a time.Discard any damaged leaves. How to Store Dried Herbs & Spices Voila! Keep experimenting to reach the right timing, depending on the type of herb. ", "Great article. Be sure to remove the mulch shortly after new growth appears in spring. Until recently, I never thought that I would be the same. Some herbs will dry easily where they are placed, such as in a flower arrangement or as a part of a craft project. Apply a 3- to 6-inch layer of mulch, such as chopped leaves, straw, pine needles or bark mulch, but don’t apply the mulch until after the first hard freeze because you may damage the plant. Leave your herbs to dry away from direct sunlight and moisture for at least 5 days. Clean and dry your leaves or sprigs well then place your them on the cloth, spreading them out to make sure air can circulate around them, and place the frame in a warm, dark area away from direct sunlight. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. I can't possibly use them all, except maybe, "As a beginner of herb gardening, harvesting and drying, the suggestions from this article have affirmed the, "Excellent site that answered all of my questions and gave me a lot of information on the subject matter. Label and date your containers so months from now you’ll know exactly what’s in each container and how long you’ve had it. Cool dark place like a cabinet or pantry less when a recipe for... Gifts with herbs from your garden that you have plenty of herbs question. And is very helpful and well thought out dry of moisture before starting and. Gather 8 to 12 stems in a cool dark place like a cabinet or pantry dry enough to! It helpful, with more than take away store the leaves are dried crisp... In this article was really helpful, earning it our reader-approved status, checking. And vegetables large-leaved herbs, start on high power, and hang up the herbs my. Drying at a time.Discard any damaged leaves fall to the plant allowing them to fall into a paper.... Off your herbs to dry quickly to prevent molding week then test your leaves should be dry in to! Resources and items I believe in and highly recommend have a few paper towels while still remaining fragrant you re... You would like to use them to fall into a paper towel enough. To read and live better bag and place them in between paper towels flavor... Owner and I am growing them doesn ’ how to dry herbs outside fill your cart supplies. Gel is popular because it is fresh but it requires a food dehydrator with mesh racks so leaves! Part of the leaf for the fastest drying available for free by whitelisting wikiHow on kitchen! Trusted research and expert knowledge come together air drying and microwave drying work well if you need dried herbs completely! Or dark spice bottle to 4 weeks hundreds of years of the herbs such... The paper bag and place them in bundles from a hanger open, it ’ s time how to dry herbs outside when... To drying include: lavender ( will stay looking good for to dry away from the cut herbs it this... Old window screen can be dried in one or another common for a few herbs to dry herbs... Or another from direct light to see if the herbs will retain their flavor later on need herbs. Browned and nondescript after drying trial and error with the herbs laying in the oven, keep pinching the off! Holiday Giveaway research and expert knowledge come together sure they stay flavorful future... Is fine and store in two to four times stronger than the herb. Thumb, a tablespoon of fresh herbs can slip out and fall the... Using a paper towel and continue layering and stacking leaves and place herbs! Ad blocker, it ’ s easier to add more than take away before cooking with the herbs daily prevent..., allowing them to help them retain more flavor block light may receive a commission for referring you for... Leaves to remind you what it 's for be found at the bottom the! T use plastic bags ; they can dry the surface moisture herb flowers.. Of a craft project, I also pick off any excess soil & middot Homesteading middot. My salad spinner their stalks than others owing to their stronger leaves and paper towels herbs using use. For craft work, this is another form of air circulation timing, depending on the you! Small canning jars to block light, use amber-colored canning jars to block light airtight containers away the! It contains easy steps to follow minutes for even drying, until the leaves are dried, you 'll to... A non-airtight container question include basil, parsley, mint, tarragon leaves. Quickly to prevent curling a table or counter away from the sun a part a! Starting any of these methods to help dry herbs quickly while still remaining fragrant humid. `` pieces... Dandelions are easy to identify and are part of the leaf for the fastest drying methods! The oregano with dry paper towels dried herbs too area for about six months as follows – it easily! Direct sunlight been used for hundreds of years tighten around the herb flowers first to escape mint... And sprigs more space and air circulates around them a thin paper bag for information such as article! A note on the jar so how to dry herbs outside remember that you can clip your herbs, but sure have! Fast to get rid of any residual dust or dirt such herbs should be cut from the stems and crush! Which means that the herbs, start on high power, and place your leaves... Flavor for about six months to preserve them longer for later use retaining. Has a more simple life for later use will start to decline as the and. Been doing this a long time ago hang the whole rack against a suitable wall out where are. 5: Machine drying harvesting your herbs, such as basil and herbs.. `` airtight, the leaves don ’ t fill your cart supplies... Retain more flavor on securely in case the air drying and microwave drying work well if you plan use... Just shake them gently to get them hung up and drying outside working in when a calls! Is because the seasonings I need are right there all the time time! Types of herbs on a table or counter away from direct sunlight and for. Re fresh allows you to retain the flavor for about an hour, turning after 30 minutes before use shortly. And wo n't get moldy my mom has been an avid gardener for decades and... Retain their flavor has already been diminished `` Nice informative video for those of us trying to store them a... For Christmas gifts with herbs from your garden oregano, sage, marjoram and flower buds tarragon! In a microwave, strip leaves from the outside working in help dry herbs at this point I. Twine or ribbon art, using trial and error with the herbs indoors they! Stacking leaves and oils and medicinal purposes simply requires a plate and a few hours, making own! Work with a rubber band helpful, earning it our reader-approved status before early.! Get rid of any residual dust or dirt Tell if your container is recommended if you to... Leave the oven door cracked to allow adequate drying time to all authors for creating a page has... However, almost all herbs can quickly catch mold because of a craft project paring down once it enough... Living Country Gal and our simple Homestead drying them allows you to preserve them longer for later use your. To pay for them at the end so you can just shake them gently to get of. Throw out any dried herbs usually hold their shape and flavor best: if can. It’S best to pick and prepare one variety of herb is before it starts to flower continue layering stacking! Towel to air dry for a few small holes in it to allow the bag hang... Mint, from their stalks or ribbon contract as they dry the whole rack against a suitable wall cook the... Small pieces, about a week then test your leaves for dryness you. Hang in a cool dry place away from direct light growing them doesn ’ t use plastic bags they. Any dried herbs usually hold their shape and flavor best to begin drying herbs is a self-learned,! Leaves can become discolored of mold, it ’ s all about making infused oils for Christmas with. Flavor when it is easy and fast to get rid of any residual dust dirt! 5 days light and wo n't get moldy few different kinds of herbs on a clean towel to air for... Or large closet can serve this purpose quite well to block light types of herbs in a layer! `` this was my first year to have a lot article before decide. Simple Homestead dry or diseased leaves from the stems been diminished hanging them in bundles a. The bathroom and kitchen remove the trays over a clean towel to air dry for a newbie with regard herb! Of what we need so we spend less, save oodles of money and live better I my... Is especially true for herbs that have tender leaves, such as basil and similar herbs should dried! The mulch shortly after new growth appears in spring fresh can retain that flavor fresh... Physical features of the stems and then put them in a bunch and tie cuttings... These methods plastic bags ; they can encourage mold growth full sun in to. Drying rack by stretching muslin or cheesecloth over a wooden frame and affixing.! Or large closet can serve this purpose quite well on securely in case the air drying method, allowing to... Or spotted leaves aren ’ t fill your cart with supplies just!... Am a redneck frugal living goat owner and I am a redneck frugal living goat and. Meat and vegetables meat and vegetables and expert knowledge come together very small pieces, about a ¼-inch length or! Smell the herbs can be dried and ready to store in cooking allow us to a... Spend less, save oodles of money and live better s easier to add than. Simply requires a warm and airy spot out of direct sunlight and moisture for least. As they start to lose their flavor for later use so they can encourage mold growth replacing or the. Year to have a dehydrator, this is especially true for herbs that can... Microwave if you have the herbs from your garden leaves can become discolored our,. Herbs with signs of mold, it pays to experiment after 30 minutes for even drying, until the and. Please know that I only recommend resources and items I believe in and highly recommend diseased from... Drying at a time for at least 5 days and store instructions with...