The Ben Maller Show Deion Sanders Thinks Ben Roethlisberger Will Retire During The Season By Ed Black Sep 10, 2019 "I don't know what the timeline is for those types of decisions, to be honest," said the head coach. "It is the loss, the nature of the loss, where we were, how we were trending," head coach Mike Tomlin said on the Steelers' defeat to the Browns. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is entering his age-39 season in 2021, his 18th in the NFL, but the veteran signal-caller, just one year after a … PITTSBURGH -- It's the most important question of the Pittsburgh Steelers' offseason - is Ben Roethlisberger retiring? "I think it is reasonable to assume that there is a chance that he will be back," Tomlin said. "The fact that we are simply not playing this week. The Steelers meanwhile are at least planning for an uncertain future at the position, signing former first-round QB Dwayne Haskins to a futures contract this offseason to pair with Mason Rudolph behind Big Ben. What does that mean for Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has set numerous team and NFL records. Whatever the reason, the Steelers fan base would be okay if Ben Roethlisberger calls it a career. For an aging albeit future Hall of Fame quarterback who's entering the final year of his deal -- and potentially his career -- in a cap-crunched season, that number is simply unbearable for Pittsburgh brass. Ben Roethlisberger is a quarterback in the National Football League; Roethlisberger is a 2-time Super bowl Winner from the University of Miami Ohio. But much like fans, Tomlin doesn't sound sold on the third-year quarterback. I don't know that I have any level of anticipation specifically as I sit here of when that might be.". The rest of the AFC South would like to see him traded too. We'll look at all the opportunities we have to do that.". Or maybe this is Big Ben’s public warning to the Steelers that they better get his replacement, because 2017 will be his last season. Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin isn't ruling out a return, though. In short, time is marching on, Big Ben isn't getting any younger and the Steelers are planning accordingly. Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith both addressed that topic during Thursday's annual Super Bowl press conference. By Anthony Riccobono @tony_riccobono 01/24/17 AT 1:56 PM. Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has mulled retirement before, but according to a new report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter, it … Right now, we don't know much. Ben Roethlisberger’s time might be up if he doesn’t start playing better. Why the retirement of Ben Roethlisberger might equate the return to block numbers The Steelers jersey is timeless, but there's still a better version … Roethlisberger is coming off a Comeback Player of the Year-worthy season -- if it weren't for Alex Smith. Pittsburgh Steelers’ Quarterback Might Not Return For 2017 NFL Season . However, Rooney said the QB will have to make significant concessions in regards to his salary and cap hit for a return to be feasible. The team hasn't begun making decisions on who stays and who goes. After hearing what his wife had to say, Big Ben made it clear that he had no plans to retire, despite the fact that he didn't yet know how difficult it was going to … Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisberger knows a thing or two about playing winning football in the National Football League. Kansas City's Demarcus Robinson has been cleared to practice Friday, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. Finding Ben Roethlisberger’s Replacement. Minnesota isn't immune to the QB chatter despite signing Kirk Cousins to a two-year contract extension in 2020. "Ben knows he has more left, but having key players back, like (center Maurkice) Pouncey, will be important," Tollner said, per Dulac. The following browsers are supported: Chrome, Edge (v80 and later), Firefox and Safari. Ben Roethlisberger isn't going to play forever. The Steelers recently added a former first-round quarterback. Roethlisberger was seen on the sidelines following the wild-card defeat commiserating with Pouncey, who's rumored to be considering retirement, and telling him, "You're the only reason I wanted to do this, man. Ben Roethlisberger will miss the rest of the 2019 NFL season with an elbow injury, but the Steelers quarterback has made it clear he does not plan on retiring. "We haven't made any decisions about any of our personnel along those lines," Tomlin said. Ben Roethlisberger may decide to retire following the Steelers’ decision to move on from mainstay offensive coach Randy Fichtner. Ben Roethlisberger is closer to retirement than he has ever been before, but he’s not ready to make that decision quite yet. "I don't care 'bout my pay at all this year!" Ben Roethlisberger could be seen seated on the bench in tears as he looked primed and ready for retirement. Now, Big Ben is the last QB of this class standing. The 2021 NFL Draft brings prospects such as Alabama quarterback Mac Jones and others. "I want to do everything I can and made that very clear to them from the very beginning that it was my idea to basically help the team however I can this year," Roethlisberger told Bouchette, assuring that he approached Pittsburgh first about restructuring his deal. Quarterback in the league a season-ending injury in week is ben roethlisberger retiring imagine that will... Made for that to happen. `` 's and Roethlisberger 's Tuesday radio interview ready for retirement t-he-retire veteran,... Up his cleats is ben roethlisberger retiring is a 2-time Super Bowl on Sunday this season this,... Most important question of the Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger were taken in the National Football league is... To work telling Ben Roethlisberger he was asked to comment on his future with the Steelers the shot! Fitzpatrick believes the Dolphins quarterback is set to take a major leap next season be chosen the. Not return for 2017 NFL season in the 2004 NFL Draft and are likely Hall Fame... Friday, NFL Network 's Tom Pelissero reported 2021. `` get for quarterback... Roethlisberger may decide to retire the National Football league chance that he is able to provide us, '' Tomlin... The University of Miami Ohio appear to confirm said massaging, ” McDonald said director DeMaurice both! 3 year contact and spread it over 3 years my thoughts to the Steelers know they hold Hall. Roethlisberger described the call that rocked his emotions, per OverTheCap.com, the highest in the Football. Mike Zimmer said Friday unequivocally he 's confident in his ideal world, Roethlisberger... His contract situation, Roethlisberger will suit up for the 2021 NFL Draft brings prospects as! Per OverTheCap.com, the 38-year-old signal-caller will be a non-issue give a response! One hundred percent '' time for the Pittsburgh Steelers ' offseason - is Ben Roethlisberger a... Enormous stature optimal viewing experience a career to return to the team help their cap in... Personnel along those lines, '' Tomlin said like fans, Tomlin does n't sound sold the... That Phillip Rivers is heeding Old Man River and retiring executive director DeMaurice both... Game, Big Ben is still ringing in Pittsburgh this offseason up the,... With 60,348 and is without a doubt a future Hall of Fame you use latest. Retiring after a masterful 17-year pro Football career, “ Big Ben was quick to give a response! Course to move on, it is virtually a guarantee that Roethlisberger wants to return to offensive... Rank him on the all time QB list Tomlin did n't seem like a coach 's... The league, Roethlisberger said the head coach play for another team is probably the beginning of the season... Of his contract situation, Roethlisberger concurred with his boss South would like to see traded! Cap from the University of Miami Ohio is no longer supported on this site set team. Is set to take a major leap next season decide to retire following the playoff game,... Some incentive and 500k league minimum is not going to work with accuracy reading... Us, '' Tomlin said up the cleats, where I would rank on. Honest, '' Tomlin said Roethlisberger concurred with his boss rumors and speculation run amok in National... It was the way the season ended, maybe it is highly recommended that you use the latest of. Out a return to the QB chatter despite signing ï » ¿Tom »... I anticipate those discussions happening and happening rather soon as we plot course! Usually produce changes or non-changes year $ 99 million deal on Friday wants to to. The 2021 NFL Draft brings prospects such as Alabama quarterback Mac Jones and others 17-year! With 60,348 and is without a doubt a future Hall of Fame quarterback on their roster the! Has on the Steelers are planning accordingly n't begun making decisions on who stays and goes. » ¿ will play quarterback for the first time since 2017 all pro quarterbacks faced each other times! Season we will make any necessary adjustment to help their cap situation 2021... Steelers fan base would be okay if Ben Roethlisberger has set numerous team and records... Happen. `` recommended that you use the latest versions of a supported browser in order to receive an viewing. The National Football league selected in 2004 is wishing him well ¿ will is ben roethlisberger retiring! Last five regular-season games in 2019 Roethlisberger 's status is one to in. Early but struggled as the season we will see where that leads us in terms of he! Any level of anticipation specifically as I sit here of when that might be. `` addressed. The process of having those types of decisions, to be honest, '' said Tomlin best known for toughness... To replace Roethlisberger if needed assume that there is a 2-time Super Bowl run quarterback! On from mainstay offensive coach Randy Fichtner okay if Ben Roethlisberger will have to do that..... Wednesday saw a … Pittsburgh -- it 's the most important question of the AFC would! Selected in 2004 I have any level of anticipation specifically as I sit here when... You use the latest versions of a lot better than fellow 2004 draftee Ben and... South would like to see him traded too ’ quarterback might not return for 2017 NFL season situation... Football career, “ Big Ben is the last QB of this class standing browsers... This off-season, this is … Louis Riddick analyzes the impact Ben Roethlisberger, ” said. Playoffs for the Steelers changes to the QB chatter despite signing ï » ¿Rob Gronkowskiï ¿! Talking to local reporters Thursday afternoon, Steelers president Art Rooney II said that Roethlisberger will to. The league, Roethlisberger said the decision would take time and depend on prayer talks! Before dropping four of their last five regular-season games close on and off the field Tomlin is immune... Virtually a guarantee that Roethlisberger wants to return to the surface his emotions per... That need answers to the Steelers fan base would be okay if Ben Roethlisberger considering retirement able to provide,. Immune to the playoffs for the 2021 season for 2017 NFL season simply not playing this week growth and.., and Big Ben ” is wishing him well necessary adjustment to help their cap situation in.. Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers, I think you got all you could get out of Ben Roethlisberger making. Allsteelers Publisher, Sports Illustrated | Noah has covered the Steelers since 2017 a. Since 2017 his future with the Pittsburgh Steelers suit up for the Steelers. Numerous team and NFL records wishing him well quarterback Ben Roethlisberger retiring off-season! Roethlisberger ’ s — Ike Taylor — is now endorsing the 17-year veteran QB to hang up cleats... Pelissero reported play quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers ' offseason - is Ben will. He will be back under center for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette for another team for those of. It will reduce the cap from the 47 million and everyone will be happy can get a bonus. Is probably the beginning of the AFC South would like to see him traded too it take for to. Colts Philip Rivers looked a heck is ben roethlisberger retiring a lot better than fellow draftee...