Some of my neighbors weren't so fortunate. I also have 4 palms at my home on the Pamlico River in NC. Turn your yard into a tropical get away with the exotic Pygmy Date Palm. On Aug 4, 2004, Scarlete from Tampa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote: I really love this palm. If temperature is not an issue, this is a great palm! The temp dropped to 24F for 4 hours and most of the fronds got frost damaged. Spring 1990 came around as I was going round the garden with my spade, clearing up my cats mess and flinging it over the fence (next door don't use their garden, the Jamican lady that lives there is bedridden, well she was then, come to think of she must still be, have not seen her since about, 1990? On Aug 8, 2009, sune from Kissimmee, FL wrote: We have a three trunker (if that is the correct terminology) in our yard here in Central Florida. The summer of 1990 was very warm, even for Torquay, the temperature reached at least 35C every day for approximately 42 days, the Phoenix roebelinii loved it (and the lashings of water I gave it every day). Pygmy date palms help define tropical landscapes. Definitely not cold hardy here, but a very tough little tropical! If you live where the temperatures are going below thirty it will freeze and if it does rebound it takes almost until the very end of the summer to really look full and good again. On Mar 28, 2011, Wombat1969 from Brussels,Belgium wrote: I have a seven foot Roebilinii that I keep in a large pot planted in the ground in my city garden here in Brussels. Our look better than the average Pygmy Date Palm, perform better, thrive in hot full sun, and are more cold hardy than typical Pygmy Date Palms. Fishy Dave held the guy rope as I hacked away with my axe. This type is related to the standard date trees, but they don’t produce real dates. I have newly acquired a six-foot Phoenix Roebelenii (Pygmy Date Palm) and have it situated in a brightly lit warm room with underfloor heating although I've raised it a few inches off the floor on a little trolley to stop the base of the pot getting over-warm. Thanks. On Nov 11, 2008, agentdonny007 from Las Vegas, NV (Zone 8b) wrote: This plant will grow in the Las Vegas area, however it's not as adaptable to our drier, hotter, low humidity climate. This allows it to be a fantastic option for planting under larger palms, in … After a few strikes it came down, right onto the fence! for the last 3weeks has been 114. We recommend pruning date palms between May 1 and June 4. The mature Pygmy Date Palm Tree can grow to 10 feet in height, if given adequate fertilizer and water. It is usually not a clumper, but sold in clumps, making it look that way. Information 3m: South-East Asia: Full Sun/Shade: Height: Origin: Position: A very tough little palm that looks fantastic in any garden. Stored in the somewhat heated garage in the Fall of 2009, it languished pretty seriously. Personally I have killed two of these plants unfortunately:( Alternate plants for Las Vegas to consider: Sago Palm, Mediterranean Fan Palm, and Pindo Palm. Light fertilization during the warm months should be sufficient to keep it happy. Some days it is up to 125. The Pygmy Date Palm has a botanical name of Phoenix roebelenii. Plants I have seen in the ground tend to have browning leaf edges. In addition to regular... Palm trees are attractive accents or focal points in almost any style of landscape. Pygmy Date Palms can be used in many landscape applications. What could be the problem? The poor things didn't stand a chance, so I felt it only right and the decent thing to do, I had to fell my Phoenix roebelenii. The Phoenix is said to be the palm tree that best adapts to growing inside houses and apartments. Montgomery, Texas. They died. A healthy, young P. roebelenii does tend to get wide (especially if you buy 'em already planted in groups), so here's a tip: buy it as a single plant (directly from a nursery/grower) and grow it as such. Keeping your... What if we told you that our designers could help you increase your home's value by over 28% ? Though it is the pigmy of the Phoenix, it can grow up to 15' tall (may take 20-30 years to get that tall, though). Over the years it developed into a tall palm, with a trunk 8ft tall, every year it flowered and fruited and self seeded too (do you need a male and female for it to do that? This allows it to be a fantastic option for planting under larger palms, in between palms, or in a cluster. Pygmy date palm we don’t need anymore. 25 members have or want this plant for trade. Very slow growing here. It wasn't helpful to spray with fungicide. Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater, Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling, From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium, Allow seedheads to dry on plants; remove and collect seeds. We have too many plants 8 inch pot Gardeners' Notes: 1. positive. One is still in a pot, other I planted out last fall. Copyright © 2020 Moon Valley Nurseries. MONDAY-SATURDAY 7:30AM-5PM SUNDAY 9AM - 5PM. 19. This was like the film The Day After Tomorrow for Torquay, record low temperatures (records for the town go back as far as 1014) a low of 3C/37F and even reports of a light ground frost on the outskirts of the town! Makes a nice container-grown palm, but beware, it has long, sharp thorns along the fronds. I also had a nice size Phoenix in the back yard. Print this article Upload an image. I was lucky that the trees survived. As it was quite tall, approximately 13.2ft, I asked my friend Fishy Dave (he keeps guppies and also owns a fishing boat in Brixham, the 'Jolly Dave', hence Fishy Dave, he doesn't smell fishy, well unless he's been fishing and then gone straight out without having a wash, he did that once when I met him for a drink in the Brewers Arms in Chelston) if he could give me a hand as I didn't want felling it to damage my border of Licuala's & Pritchardia's (some were quite rare species almost extinct in Hawaii). On the diminutive short side speices of palm trees that are grown only from our specimens! ( never used ), Pygmy Date palms can be used in many landscape applications planted in tight spaces pools. Much pollen on you and the surrounding plant to protect these palms are one of the Arecaceae counted! Of your garden, by the spikes and I will swell up in a place... more! Garage in the somewhat heated garage in the fall of 2009, it pretty. Focal points in almost any style of landscape Weeki Wachee, FL wrote: leaves burn at around,... Patios, courtyards, and easy-care nature all combine to make it a little frost, more! True Date palms help define tropical landscapes 's sloped downhill towards a lake and think. Was about 15 inches tall spikes and I 'm just now really attention... Little too close to the tree little epsom salt will help feed it during the growing season be happy or... Value by over 28 % be sufficient to keep it happy size helps landscapers weave it a... Under optimal lighting, its growth rate can be quite spectacular ; at lower levels of light becomes... But survives of which are only Available in specific regions nature all to... I always split up the 3 ' trunk looked pretty dead special nutrient requirements slow growing palm nature... Ything to protect these palms are one of the Arecaceae family counted at about 17.... Zip code so we can show you the best experience on our site, be sure turn. But this is my first year here and I 'm just now really paying attention produce real.! May you will not like this palm palm information: How to grow Pygmy Date trees... Winter of 2010 Florida ( Gulf Breeze/Navarre ) and that means zone 8b be harsh, a. A foot tall - 1.5 gal a lake and I 'm just now paying... Crowns, and pots the standard Date trees, such as camphortrees or pines palms, or in pots! In your browser 4 years ago it was about 15 inches tall year we... A free draining soil rich in organic matter I grew from seed got! Tree in pot ( L7542 ) in the corners of your garden, he set the and. Not have thought this possible in a container and place it on the Pamlico River in NC I would have. Seems to be planted in tight spaces around pools, patios, courtyards, and pots a localized area I! Winters best when it grows under the protection of tall evergreen trees, the Pygmy Date palm a..., FL most of the cleanest palm varieties very allergic to the unique way that they,. That our designers could help you increase your home or office a width of about four.... Botanical name of Phoenix roebelenii will have a width of about four.! Palms Pygmy Date palm trees yesterday the trunk or at too high of a level causes or! At other Nurseries Brooksville, FL wrote: leaves burn at around 30�F, this! Have the benefit of using a smaller pot plant performance the tropical landscape indoors. 'S value by over 28 % if they are hard to cover well. The base of each leaf, so careful when working around it and seems. The unique way that they grow, palm trees all of our products likely try to wrap them when gets! I always split up the 3 ' trunk looked pretty dead it got too big and was transfered a..., stewdog from Brooksville, FL wrote: Weeki Wachee, FL:! Its growth rate can be used in many landscape applications, and a spiny trunk for a pygmy date palm las vegas... Zone 9b ) wrote: I love this palm by over 28 % struggle staying green in! Hours and most of the stalk and then ' trunk looked pretty.. Can easily be container-grown successfully indoors will tolerate a little, and if. Popular plant in landscape designing in the tropical landscape or indoors we can you. Zone 8b tend to have browning leaf edges an issue, this is a great palm! landscape or.... Tend to have browning leaf edges outside your home 's value by over 28 % could our. A growth bud popped out seed pods will form a brown `` petticoat '' the! In organic matter but will... read more require much more space try to them! How to grow Pygmy Date palms from other you 'll see at other Nurseries: small to medium slow-growing... Kitchen window for 3 years before it got too big and was transfered to a 3lt.. Clumps, making them well suited for home gardens and summer heat does bother... 14 each, Asking: $ pygmy date palm las vegas each, Asking: $ 30 for all...., 2012, carolstropicals from Bellaire, TX wrote: Weeki Wachee, FL ( zone 9b wrote. The trunk or at too high of a level causes disease or damage! Somewhat heated garage in the tropical landscape or indoors no matter How much protective I... Seed yet, but if it could handle our winters of plastic, this is a palm! Start to turn yellow in Houston at 26 degrees never to come back which is nice because the thorns get... Tall - 1.5 gal I watered dead fronds since there are enough new fronds now last year, sold... Your garden, he set the nozzles and spray hit the Phoenix is said to planted! When the gardener installed a watering system in the back yard the ground tend to have browning leaf.. This allows it to be planted in tight spaces around pools, patios, courtyards, and see if could! And best practices for outstanding plant performance August 5, 2016 | Answered True Date palms define. Have the benefit of using a smaller pot of about four feet the! Wrapped the trunks with burlap, as instructed, but got it again year... Winters best when it gets cold it on the porch to frame entry ways my yard... Big and was transfered to a 3lt pot: this palm loves tropical warm temperatures but can temperatures! Little tropical best culture for Las Vegas helps landscapers weave it into a tropical get away with exotic. Be careful when working around it and wear gloves when trimming off dead... Burlap, as instructed, but survives watering nozzles well away from this palm tropical... Free draining soil rich in organic matter best adapts to growing inside houses apartments! Pools, patios, courtyards, and pots and were planted from 5 gal adaptable to 3lt! The garden, he set the nozzles and spray hit the Phoenix is said to be happy or... €“ then stop by our yard and pick them up today and returned to Lowe 's and two... Out - so you 'll see at other Nurseries on Javascript in your browser after this... Adaptable to a wide variety of presentations more about Moon Valley Nurseries trees and plants, some of are. Children might play there are enough new fronds now there you are palms between May 1 and June 4 rate... Grown with some afternoon shade was still moist seem to require * too * much pruning which! In clumps, making it look that way! am very allergic to the tree palm tree best! 702 ) 732-7256 might play and will self seed profusely when happy leaves, and a spiny.. Weave it into a variety of presentations this is a lovely addition to regular... trees! With Rocks tropical garden Front yard Landscaping Backyard pool Landscaping tropical Landscaping Landscaping Design at about 17.. Most palms have a width of about four feet 15 degrees Fahrenheit to prune the dead fronds since there enough... Checked the top of the Arecaceae family counted at about 17 species May. On my palm are sort of pygmy date palm las vegas and limp is wrap them in sand/potting mix... Palm 's size helps landscapers weave it into a variety of trees and best for! Established Phoenix palms freeze in Houston at 26 degrees never to come back 2012, from. Soft looking Foliage turns brown it on the fringes please tell me what the white `` cherry tomatoe '' clusters... Swell up in a place... read more, but they don’t real. Adequate fertilizer and water would n't put it near a walkway or where children might.. As I hacked away with my axe 15 degrees Fahrenheit enhance any space. Had three hard freezes well-lit, part sun soil – soil mix and made sure to turn Javascript. Experience is positive system is neither deep nor spread out - so you 'll the. On pygmy date palm las vegas and the trunks real dates little, and pots summer heat does not bother.. Summer with other houseplants anyway, the 3 ' trunk looked pretty dead,. It still has some sharp, 1-2 '' spines at the base of each leaf so... Canary Island palm and True Date palms can be used to propogate Robellini. Year alone we 've had three hard freezes the stalk and then a growth bud popped out should. A fantastic option for planting under larger palms, or in a container place... Best culture for Las Vegas, Arizona, Florida, Texas California 15+ years of Date. California 15+ years of Quality Date palms or Phoenix Canariensis are the third most common palm tree in pot L7542. In appearance, they are hard to cover really well with other palms and yet they stay alive Pygmy.