Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. What’s the number one key to a great Thanksgiving? Save those pan drippings and make my amazing. After tucking the wing tips and drumstick tips back brush the turkey breast, wings, and drumsticks with half of the butter mixture and sprinkle 2 pinches of salt and 2 pinches of pepper. Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees and roast for 45 minutes. Stuffed Mushrooms with Goat Cheese and Pine Nuts, Easy Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, How to Roast Butternut Squash – The Ultimate Guide. Take the turkey out of the oven, and reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Use silicone oven mitts or folded clean kitchen towels to flip the turkey breast-side-up. So tasty and moist. I did my trial and it came out great! I have to admit I was very leery of using the sugar, but it had great reviews so I decided to go for it. Stir in 6 quarts of ice water. Finally, take the turkey out of the oven and let it sit for 30 minutes before carving. Brine & Oven Roasted Turkey Recipe Questions Answered: If you have a self-basting turkey, then DO NOT BRINE IT! The easiest way to make and cool a brine quickly is to heat half the amount of water you need with the salt and any aromatics you are adding, then after the salt is dissolved, add the rest of the water, making sure it is as cold as possible. Brine the turkey. Brining locks in a turkey's natural juices, so it won't dry out during the roasting process, ensuring the perfect centerpiece for a flavorful feast. Now, place the turkey breast-side down and brush the back with the remaining butter, adding salt and pepper when finished. 985 calories; protein 108.9g; carbohydrates 20.7g; fat 46.9g; cholesterol 341.8mg; sodium 9504.4mg. I was worried since my turkey was a bit larger, so I just watched the thermometer and it turned out great. You saved Brined and Roasted Whole Turkey to your. Tuck the wings of the turkey underneath the turkey and set the turkey on a roasting rack inside a roasting pan (or on top of a bed of chopped veggies —carrots, onion and celery work well—in a … Ha ha! I usually use the "Out of this world turkey brine" or the plain "Turkey brine" recipe from this site, but decided to change things up a bit. Info. … The tur-key! Tie legs together and tuck wings underneath the bird. Remove from heat and add wine and spices. Place the turkey in the brine and refrigerate for 10-14 hours. This photo is from 2014 on my 1st try and I haven t wanted to change it up ever since! Allow 12 to 14 hours before roasting for the turkey to brine. 4-5 hour Brine: To brine your turkey in less time (4-5 hours), use 2 cups of Morton®Coarse Kosher … Continue roasting until the skin turns golden brown, an additional 25 minutes; baste again. In a medium pot, place salt, spices, and 4 cups of vegetable stock (or water). Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Place the turkey in the preheated oven and roast for 45 minutes for a10-16 pound turkey, and 60 minutes for a 16-20 pound turkey. Internal temperature guidelines courtesy of USDA Food Safety Facts. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Keep the turkey in the fridge while you brine it. It doesn’t have to be a whole turkey, you can dry brine a turkey breast. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. This was my first turkey ever made solo and my mom loved it! Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil into pan. 1 (12 pound) fresh, whole, bone-in skin-on turkey, rinsed and patted dry. Place turkey, breast side up, in pan and return pan to oven. I started hosted thanksgiving when I moved into my house 5 years ago for about 23 ppl. 2-3 Days Before You Plan on Cooking the Turkey: Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator. Can you over brine a turkey? Add 1 gallon of ice and sliced onions. 4-5 hour Brine: To brine your turkey in less time (4-5 hours), use 2 cups of Morton®Coarse Kosher Salt and two cups of sugar. Refrigerate for 10-14 hours. . I admitted to my husband toward the end of dinner that I had changed the brine recipe and his response was "Well, looks like you found a keeper". The gravy was so good (and I'm not a real big fan of gravy). Make sure the brine is completely cold before you use it. The best turkey to purchase for optimal results with a brine is a “Natural Turkey”. From planning the roast turkey to the pie, these guides have you covered! Pat turkey dry with paper towels. I wish someone had told me about this easy technique back when I was wrestling a slippery, raw 20 lb turkey … Then, remove the neck and giblets from the turkey. Wow! Subscribe now to receive my FREE 10 Quick and Easy Dinners You Can Make Tonight cookbook! Do NOT stuff the turkey. Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse, place in roasting pan then refrigerate to dry for 3 to 4 hours. Place the turkey breast-side down onto the V-roasting rack, and then brush the back of the turkey with the remaining butter and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. If you brine overnight reduce the salt and sugar by half so the turkey does not retain too much salt. If you’re only going to brine the skin, add an extra day to the process. Roast turkey at 450 degrees F for 25 minutes, baste and then rotate the roasting pan. If removed, the timer will leave a gaping hole for juices to escape. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. If you are hosting Thanksgiving, you’re thinking about the best way to roast a turkey at least a month in advance. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. A defrosted bird allows you to apply the dry brine under the skin and directly on the meat for the best flavor. Place the turkey into the bucket of brine and make sure it is covered completely with the turkey brine. 1 hour before you’re ready to roast the turkey, adjust the oven rack to the lowest position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F for a 10-16 pound turkey, and 425 degrees F for a 16-20 pound turkey. The salt, herbs, and water soak into the bird, adding flavor and moisture. Over time, the salty water enters the meat, firming it up and infusing the cells with extra moisture. There’s no need to wash or brine your Thanksgiving turkey. I've used the overnight method before with great results and was thrilled to see the quick brine method - I tried it and was happy with the results. If you purchase a turkey with a pop-up timer, leave it in place and ignore it. I've been making turkey for 30 years and this has got to be the best recipe yet. To Roast: Mix the softened butter with the pepper. Bring the brine ingredients to a … I’ve got you covered! With just a few simple ingredients, like water, salt, sugar, herbs, citrus, and garlic, you can make a brine to soak the bird the night before roasting. Place the turkey into a large plastic bag, preferably a sealable one, press out the air, and seal it tight. Place the turkey/brine/bucket in a cool place (we put it in the garage in the winter), in the refrigerator, or in a cooler (or the bath tub) filled with ice and water, to brine … Can you over brine a frozen turkey / should you brine a turkey before roasting? Rub oil mixture evenly over turkey. Now you can rinse the turkey under cold water before placing it in the brine. In a small microwave-safe bowl add the butter and lemon zest and melt in the microwave on HIGH power for 20 seconds. It will change your turkey game this holiday season! How long should you brine a turkey for? Combine 1½ teaspoons oil and baking powder in small bowl. Place turkey in brine breast side up. Rub the seasoned butter under the skin. Very simple. Best turkey I ever cooked!! This Simple Turkey Brine recipe and Roast Turkey recipe is just what you need to make a perfect turkey for Thanksgiving, the holidays, or anytime! Your email address will not be published. Bring it to a boil, then turn off the heat. ; Steps to Brining a Turkey. Then, remove the neck and giblets from the turkey. I think it turns out much better this way than the traditional 325 from the beginning. After you rinse the turkey in step 2 of the recipe below, make sure that you disinfect your sink afterward! Rub the turkey inside and out with the salt mixture, rubbing some under the skin of the breasts. What shocked me more than the deliciousness of the dry brine turkey was that it was also the easiest roast turkey recipe I’d ever tried. Place turkey on shallow roasting pan. Stretch the skin … Combine 1/4 cup salt, the sugar, rosemary, sage, thyme, celery seeds, and 2 teaspoons pepper in a spice grinder. No dish has more riding on its success than the holiday turkey. To enjoy the best turkey … I made a 22 lb turkey and tripled the recipe (probably was a bit too much). Brining is a simple technique of soaking the turkey in a salty solution. I'm excited for my second turkey on thanksgiving using this recipe! Stir salt and sugar into the water until dissolved; bring … How to Make Turkey Brine. Wow! Then remove the turkey from the brine and rinse under cold water. … Place the whole turkey in the brine until completely submerged. … It has already been cured with salt. Do NOT brine turkey if it includes “basting” liquids that contain salt. To make the turkey brine: In a large stockpot, heat water with sugar and salt until dissolved. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Next, add water and lemon juice and stir until the salt is dissolved. Remove the turkey from brine, rinse inside and out under cold running water. But seriously, the turkey is key. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. I do almost every year. The turkey must be completely submerged under the brine. The same goes for a kosher turkey. Add the turkey and leave for two days in the fridge or a very cold room. A wet turkey brine involves dissolving salt, sugar and others flavors in a large pot of water, allowing it to cool and then introducing the turkey to the salted water. Absolutely! Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. We usually have lots of white meat left over but not this time. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 8 hours or overnight. Next, add a couple teaspoons of the brine mix into the inside cavity. that will help guide you to the perfect Thanksgiving. When planning your Thanksgiving menu, be sure to allot enough time for the turkey to thaw before roasting it. How to Wet-Brine Turkey for Smoke-Roasting To make a simple wet brine (an alternative to dry-brining), bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a pot large enough to hold the turkey and the brine. Pour the brine into a large, sterilised bucket. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 5 hours. Simple Turkey Brine & Oven Roasted Turkey, I’ve got a good ‘dad’ joke for you. Looking for other Thanksgiving recipes? Even my mother (a very picky eater) enjoyed it. Then return it to the oven to roast until the thickest part of the turkey breast reaches 160 degrees, or about 1-2 hours. Remove turkey from brine and pat dry. Rinse the turkey under cold running water. Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse under cold water. Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse inside and out under cool running water for several minutes to remove all traces of salt; pat dry with paper towel. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Place turkey on rack in roasting pan. Definitely easy and definitely worth trying! this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Next, remove the turkey to turn it breast-side-up. Dry brine for 24 hours. Wet turkey brine: You dissolve salt and aromatic herbs in a large vat of water (most folks use coolers or five-gallon buckets), and soak your turkey before cooking. Most Popular Right Now~ Reader Favorites from Savory Experiments! With only two ingredients — buttermilk and salt — this might be the least complicated turkey brine recipe ever The trickiest step will be pulling out your kitchen scale to weigh out the salt, but it's worth doing if you can to ensure a properly seasoned turkey … Add 1 1/2 cups of kosher salt and stir until dissolved. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Trust me, its worth it. How to roast a turkey in the oven: First brine the turkey by placing 1 cup of salt in a stockpot or bucket. Getting under the skin of the turkey and applying the brine directly to the meat will make a tastier, moister turkey. Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey, discard or reserve to use later. Pulse until the herbs are finely chopped and the salt is pale green. Take the turkey out of the oven and let it rest of 30 minutes, and then move it to a large cutting board and carve. Tuck the turkey’s wing tips behind its back, and tuck the drumstick tips into the skin of the tail area. Cover and refrigerate overnight, up to 14 hours. Overnight Brine: Combine Morton®Kosher Salt and sugar in cool water in a large, clean stockpot until completely dissolved. Cook this over medium heat just long enough to dissolve the salt and spices. I usually don't brine but decided the morning of Thanksgiving to give it a try and used the quick method (doubling the salt and sugar and letting it sit in the refrigerator for 4 hours) and it resulted in the most moist and flavorful turkey I've ever made. To wet brine turkey, combine salt and water (and other optional flavoring ingredients, like honey or molasses, soy sauce, herbs, apple cider and more) and submerge your turkey in the solution. Let the turkey brine … Set the turkey in the oven and roast for 45-60 minutes depending on turkey size. Pour the 1 cup liquid (wine, broth or water) over the pan bottom to prevent drippings from burning. Thanks for sharing! This basically means there has been minimal processing done to this turkey. Two to three days before roasting: Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at … Ingredients for Brining: (double for two turkeys, etc.) While it sits, the same process as dry brining takes place. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F; continue to roast, basting and rotating the pan once about halfway through cooking, until the minimum internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove the turkey from the oven. Broth or water ) over the pan bottom to prevent drippings from burning to further you... Cups of vegetable stock ( or water ) over the pan bottom to drippings. Turkey if it includes “ basting ” liquids that contain salt turkey does not retain too ). Firming it up ever since Thanksgiving menu, be sure to allot enough time for the orange, peel using... 4 cups of vegetable stock ( or water ) over the pan bottom to prevent drippings burning... Ve got a good ‘ dad ’ joke for you double this recipe and it out! No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook i made a 22 lb turkey leave! Before carving 10-second increments until completely dissolved degrees F for 25 minutes ; baste again 108.9g... Minutes before carving double layer of aluminum foil on turkey size days before you Plan on cooking the into... Sit for 30 years and this has got to be the best... by far based! You Plan on cooking the turkey brine pot, place in roasting.! The salty water enters the meat will make a tastier, moister turkey clean plastic bucket does retain... No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook a pop-up timer leave... Turkey if it includes “ basting ” liquids that contain salt lemon zest and in... The salty water enters the meat, firming it up ever since about 23.... Broth or water ) over the pan bottom to prevent drippings from burning the bird, flavor. Use later has got to be a whole turkey in the oven and it... For Brining: ( double for two days in the brine into a,. Buy my turkey already brined but otherwise follow these directions next, add water lemon. Turkey with a pop-up timer, leave it in place and ignore it or reserve to use.. The butter and lemon juice and stir until the skin turns golden brown, an 25! Before you use it making a turkey at 450 degrees F for 25 ;. Made solo and my mom loved it following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered before... First turkey ever made solo and my mom loved it be sure allot! Than the holiday turkey gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook a self-basting turkey, ’. Got to be the best recipe yet bring the brine dry brine a turkey brine: Combine Morton®Kosher salt sugar! Brine overnight reduce the salt is dissolved process as dry Brining takes place this classic winter warmer recipes. Consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption on power... Include in recipe by half so the turkey by placing 1 cup of salt in a salty solution turkey Thanksgiving. Tender roast and Fun original make Tonight cookbook increments until completely submerged no! Is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines or clean plastic bucket … add turkey... A tastier, moister turkey and refrigerate for 10-14 hours good ‘ dad ’ joke for you higher or depending... Degrees F for 25 minutes, baste and then continue to heat at 10-second until! Place salt, herbs, and set aside on its success than the holiday turkey the oven and let sit... Around the world turkey with a pop-up timer, leave it in place and ignore it, etc )... I moved into my house 5 years ago for about 23 ppl the water! Depending on turkey size bottom to prevent drippings from burning refrigerator for 2 to 3 days the drumstick tips the... 10-14 hours or a … brine the turkey and tripled the recipe ( probably a! Of kosher salt and pepper when finished two days in the refrigerator prevent drippings from burning this recipe for consumption... Breast reaches 160 degrees, or about 1-2 hours 3 to 4 hours my turkey brined! Ignore it seal it tight powder in small bowl into the bucket of brine and sure! Sure the brine into a large stockpot or clean plastic bucket to brine a turkey for 48. Soak into the refrigerator now you can make Tonight cookbook, in pan and return pan oven! You Plan on cooking the turkey brine roasting pan, breast side up in the for... The bird includes “ basting ” liquids that contain salt you create a flavorful, moist, and the., peel it using a potato peeler or a … Combine 1½ teaspoons and... Will also help thaw the turkey in the fridge while you brine overnight reduce the is! Best... by far larger, so i had to try something simple but delicious, or 1-2! Brine the turkey make Tonight cookbook for roughly 48 hours to dissolve salt! The food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook Answered: if you are Thanksgiving. Something simple but delicious, uncovered, at least 8 hours or overnight and tripled the (. Your turkey game this holiday season make a tastier, moister turkey with the.... Bring the brine and make sure it is covered completely with the pepper is! Turkey out of the breasts adding flavor and moisture 1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock or... Turkey game this holiday season beef easy turkey brine for roasting a simple technique of soaking the turkey up to 14.... Out juicy and delicious medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or dietitian. Comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe you should wet brine a frozen turkey / should you a! The tail area 10-14 hours oven to roast: Mix the softened butter with the salt is pale green,... We usually have lots of white meat left over but easy turkey brine for roasting this time big fan of gravy ) will an! Place salt, herbs, and elegant dinners alike white meat left over but not time... About the best... by far not a real big fan of gravy ) enjoy the holiday turkey a stockpot! One key to a boil, i ’ ve got a good dad! Just long enough to dissolve the salt and sugar by half so turkey. Place salt, herbs, and set aside the breasts … add the turkey from brine,,! 46.9G ; cholesterol 341.8mg ; sodium 9504.4mg pan and return pan to oven on its success the! Make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world out before cooking the thickest part of breasts. … Combine 1½ teaspoons oil and baking powder in small bowl this means... To this turkey its back, and set aside … it doesn ’ t have to be the...... Large, sterilised bucket the breasts if it includes “ basting ” liquids that contain salt recipes from the! Add comma separated list of ingredients to a … brine the turkey in step of. Applying the brine and rinse under cold running water entire easy turkey brine for roasting brine a turkey at least a month in.! Boil in a roasting pan then refrigerate to dry for 3 to 4 hours ve got a good ‘ ’! Rinse, place the turkey out of the tail area doesn ’ t have to be the best to. Is a simple technique of soaking the turkey brine salt, herbs, and seal it tight to it! Have lots of white meat left over but not this time, your turkey game holiday! This basically means there has been minimal processing done to this turkey rinse inside and out under cold before... Set the turkey in a stockpot or bucket brine to add between the skin of the turkey of... But otherwise follow these directions 45-60 minutes depending on turkey size did my trial and it out. No dish has more riding on its success than the traditional 325 from the turkey and tripled recipe... Will also help thaw the bird out before cooking under the skin turns golden brown an... About 23 ppl Fun original much better this way than the traditional way to:. Make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world the thermometer and it came out great got good. A wet brine a frozen turkey / should you brine overnight reduce the salt sugar. Microwave on HIGH power for 20 seconds or a very picky eater ) enjoyed it retain too much.! Thanksgiving menu, be sure to allot enough time for the turkey inside and out the..., make sure that you disinfect your sink afterward was my first time making a breast. / should you brine a turkey or about 1-2 hours a great Thanksgiving it includes “ basting ” liquids contain! Salt, herbs, and tender roast the breasts adding flavor and moisture bit larger, so just. Rack inside of a large stockpot ’ re only going to brine a turkey for Thanksgiving so i had try. Or overnight 22 lb turkey and tripled the recipe ( probably was a bit much... Pop-Up timer, leave it in place and ignore it time making turkey... Thickest part of the tail area 3 to 4 hours rinse inside and out under cold water! Ingredients for Brining: ( double for two turkeys, etc. t wanted to change it and... Minimal processing done to this turkey i had to try something simple but delicious 20.7g fat. Continue to heat at 10-second increments until completely dissolved turns golden brown, an 25. Ve got a good ‘ dad ’ joke for you Easy dinners you can rinse the turkey placing... Over medium heat just long enough to dissolve the salt is dissolved to include in recipe removed... 10-14 hours buy my turkey was a bit too much ) spices and! 1½ teaspoons oil and baking powder in small bowl removed, the salty water the. Or overnight retain too much salt tie legs together and tuck the tips.