Last medically reviewed on October 26, 2018, Some people swear by working out on an empty stomach, called fasted cardio, as a quick and effective way to lose fat. “As long as you keep that cardio session low-intensity, you may well burn more fat in a fasted state,” he says. “Plus, you’re more susceptible to hitting the wall, which means you’ll have less energy and not be able to work out as hard or perform as well,” she adds. But you won’t build anywhere near as much as you would if you consume a few hundred extra calories above and beyond what your body needs each day. In general, is it okay to work out when on a cleanse/fast/lower calorie diet, why or not? // You’re gonna want to start working out while fasting after watching this! Working out while fasting can be a great strategy to get lean if done correctly. If fasting long term, you could slow down your metabolism. Dr. Niket Sonpal says the best solution for combining IF and exercise is to time your workouts during your eating periods so your nutrition levels are peaked. We'll discuss averages, ratios, and why a waist circumference…. When it comes time to use it for energy, the liver simply starts breaking all the chains to release the individual sugar molecules that can now be used for energy. Glycogen is a molecule composed of many sugars all put together. This is particularly important for anyone with type 2 diabetes or metabolic syndrome. While the attention the IF craze is getting seems to be over the top, this type of lifestyle isn’t new. Scroll through any social media platform or online health and fitness publication, and you’re bound to read about someone doing intermittent fasting (IF) while still maintaining their exercise routine. “Not if you approach it right,” says Angelo Poli, ISSA, co-owner of Whole Body Fitness in Chico, CA, creator of the MetPro diet and exercise app. So, while you may shed more fat when exercising on an intermittent fasting (or IF) diet, you may lose more muscle, too. The concept refers to consuming all food within an 8-hour fueling window and then fasting for 16 hours. This is where meal timing comes into play. Your gym sessions will be fine if you have the right strategy. 7 Ways to Turbocharge Your IF Eating Window. Working Out While Water Fasting - Good Or Bad Idea? If you’re doing a 24-hour intermittent fast, Lippin says you should stick to low-intensity workouts such as: But if you’re doing the 16:8 fast, much of the 16-hour fasting window is evening, sleep, and early in the day, so sticking to a certain type of exercise isn’t as critical. “Slow cardio and other low-intensity activities run primarily on fat,” says Poli. Sonpal says to remember fasting doesn’t mean to remove water. The Bottom Line on Intermittent Fasting and Working Out. “I Exercise in the Morning, Can I Do Intermittent Fasting?” In this article, I hope to dispel some myths around post workout nutrition and give my top tips on how to incorporate Intermittent Fasting and the 2 Meal Day into your morning training routine. It is possible to exercise while fasting, but precautions are necessary. Even if your main goal is losing fat, you still need to lift, which prevents your body from burning through muscle to fuel your daily activities. Check with your doctor or healthcare provider before starting any nutrition or exercise program. You won’t gain much muscle if you’re fasting, but if you lift, you won’t lose it, either. Stay hydrated. During non-fasting periods, participants engage in relatively normal eating. I have been fasting for more than 10 years so my body has adjusted and it is quite used to it, and to me, it feels like it prefers it, especially when I can keep on track. However, your workout routine and diet require special attention when you're on a fast. If you’re trying IF or you’re fasting for other reasons and you still want to get your workouts in, there are some pros and cons to consider before you decide to work out in a fasted state. Lifting weights, sprinting, doing CrossFit WODS, and other high-intensity activities all depend on carbohydrates for fuel, explains Poli. Work Out When It’s Best for YOU. But Poli says it can’t hurt. If you’ve tried it for 1-2 weeks and you’re not happy, don’t put yourself through it! It is also important to consider the amount of time our bodies take to get into a … Some research shows that exercising while fasting affects muscle biochemistry and metabolism that’s linked to insulin sensitivity and the steady management of blood sugar levels. We were primarily interested in seeing if people would choose, on their own accord, to exercise while fasting. With nothing in your system, your pre-workout will hit you harder. When to Work Out While Intermittent Fasting The best time to work out while intermittent fasting is usually upon waking, or shortly after, to support the body’s natural circadian rhythm. If you’re heading out on a long run, but haven’t eaten any carbs, your body might start burning protein within a couple of hours. You need food to fuel your workouts, but when you’re fasting, you can’t eat. Here are some expert tips to help you do just that. Here’s some commonly asked questions about working out and fasting at the same time. Your primary goal while fasting should losing fat. Certified personal trainer and master pilates teacher, Lynda Lippin, says it’s important to pay attention to the macronutrients you take in the day before you exercise and when you eat after. Stage one lasts for the first couple of days of the fast or about 12-48 hours from your last … That’s because it’s much harder to overeat if all your daily calories are crammed into an eight-hour window than if you can spread them out over 15-16 hours. Working out while fasting also trains your muscles to burn fat. Research also supports eating and immediately exercising before digestion or absorption occurs. While fasted lifting is a big fat mistake, fasted cardio is fine, and may help you burn additional fat. If you push yourself too hard and begin to feel dizzy or light-headed, take a break. Research is equivocal on whether this practice burns more fat than hitting the pavement after a meal or two. “It replenishes electrolytes, is low in calories, and tastes pretty good,” he says. So Is Intermittent Fasting Actually Good for You? Not always, but typically hunger is more prevalent once you … Instead of getting stronger and faster, you may well get weaker and slower. Maybe. I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis (IC), a painful bladder disorder, when I was 16 and followed a strict recommended diet to keep my pain down. You can still exercise on a water fast. Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. This way your body has some glycogen stores to tap into to fuel your workout. One popular method of IF is the 16:8 protocol. This is because your HGH is very high, and you don't have insulin spikes; which conserves muscle! You may lose muscle mass or only be able to maintain, not build, muscle. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, How Bodybuilders Get to Look Super Shredded, Viral TikTok Shows Pregnant Runner’s Mile, Olympian Nick Symmonds Raced Against a Go-Kart, Chris Hemsworth Poses Shirtless for Christmas, Watch World’s Oldest Gymnast Crush This Routine, How This School Principal Ran Off 55 Pounds, These Exercises Build Bodaciously Big Biceps. While exercising and intermittent fasting may work for some people, others may not feel comfortable doing any form of exercise while fasting. This way, you're working out while you're fueled and have the … “After the window is for people who like to exercise after fueling but don’t have the opportunity to do it during the eating window,” he adds. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Training while fasting can even give your pre-workout a boost. To make intermittent fasting and working out in the morning work, it is essential to … If post-workout hunger during a fast is a non-issue for you, then by all means train in the morning. Priya Khorana, EdD, a nutrition educator at Columbia University, believes that intermittent fasting and exercising long term isn’t ideal. Healthline Media does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Also acceptable: lift weights after your feeding window (9 or 9:30 PM in this example). “Your body depletes itself of calories and energy, which could ultimately end up slowing your metabolism,” she adds. Should You Combine Intermittent Fasting and Keto? That’s what makes IF such an effective weight-loss tool: by restricting the time frame in which you can eat, you effectively restrict the number of calories you take in as well. Talk to a Dr. Berg Keto Consultant today and get the help you need on your journey. Regardless, it’s less essential that you fuel up with carbs when you do lower-intensity work than it is when you lift or perform other high-intensity activities. To maximize fat loss and muscle gain while following a diet like this, you’ll need to schedule your exercise sessions strategically around those fueled or fasted windows. Why is it suddenly harder to lose or maintain your goal weight when you hit 40? “Unless you’re a real novice, you can’t build appreciable muscle in a caloric deficit,” says Poli. When it comes time to use it for energy, the liver simply starts breaking all the chains to release the individual sugar molecules that can now be used for energy. “The same activities that build muscle when you’re fueled help preserve it when you’re in a caloric deficit,” says Poli. Whether it’s a 5/2 protocol (eat for five days, fast for two) a 16/8 (fast for 16 hours, eat for eight), or any other version of IF, most people on a fasting diet wind up losing weight. While menopause is one reason, another may be that your body is…, Want to know how to reduce stress naturally? If that’s the case, she says to opt for a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink immediately and then follow up with a well-balanced meal. Yes, you will burn more fat while working out if you are in a fasted state, but if you cannot fit a morning workout into your routine, don’t stress! So don’t try. Hitting the treadmill or upright bike for a cardio … If you want to work out during your limited-calorie days, then it might make sense to exercise right before or after your fast. How can you safely exercise while fasting? The only way to find out which group you belong to is to try it out. An intermittent fast is the daily portion within the 24-hour clock that your body goes without food (including the period in which you sleep). A pound here and there? Yes, working out while fasting is completely fine. While exercising in a fasted state, it’s possible that your body will start breaking down muscle to use protein for fuel, says Amengual. Working out during a fast lowers your insulin levels. For performance and recovery, Shuff says during is the best option. Gatorade and sports drinks are high in sugar, so avoid drinking too much of them. All rights reserved. If you’re set to try IF while continuing your exercise routine, there are some things you can do to make your workout effective. I often find myself having to clarify the truth behind a lot of Intermittent Fasting myths as so many are being pushed around all too often. Check with … There’s decent research and anecdotal reports about how to make IF work — especially if you’re planning to exercise while doing it. While some people opt to follow a 16:8 schedule, fasting for 16 hours a day and eating for the remaining 8, others opt to practice alternate-day fasting or even fast for 2 days out of every 5. That makes fasting and exercise incompatible, right? You need to know when to work out and fast to get the best result. What is fascia and how does this tissue keep your body pain-free and cellulite-free? A study from the FASEB Journal says this combination can “enhance the ability of aerobic exercise to increase endurance” once the body makes the switch from using carbs as fuel to fats instead.. If you've ever gone for an extended period without eating, you know that it can make you feel weak and fatigued at times—not to mention extremely hangry. This writer reviews his experience after trying this diet and digs into what science has to…. We may earn a commission through links on our site. Andrew Heffernan, CSCS is a health, fitness, and Feldenkrais coach, and an award-winning health and fitness writer. Expedited fat loss should not be the motivation of exercising while on a water fast. Listening to your body is important. Since you’re only trying to maintain the muscle you have—not pack on additional beef—you can get away with a fairly infrequent lifting schedule—2 to 3 times per week, exercising your whole body each workout (try this routine). What to do? Before you jump on the fasted cardio trend, there’s a downside. This content is imported from {embed-name}. You might not perform as well during workouts. The subjects consumed roughly 500 calories on alternating fast days, and also worked out on elliptical machines or stationary bikes three times per week for 45 minutes per session. © 2005-2020 Healthline Media a Red Ventures Company. What to Know Before Starting Intermittent Fasting. But everybody is different, you just have to find what works for you. I want to go to continue with my workout routine but I'm not sure what effect that will have since I'm not getting the nutrients to build muscle. In any case, get your exercise in when it’s best and most manageable for you. Morning workouts are awesome: Aside from the convenience of getting it done and being on with your day, first-thing-in-the-a.m. sessions have been shown to boost energy all day long. Here are 13 ways to get your energy…, After nearly 20 years of dating and marriage, the author of this moving personal essay lost his wife to cancer. Khorana says that timing a meal close to a moderate- or high-intensity workout is key. So if you eat from noon to 8 PM each day, try to hit the gym around 5, then go home and eat a high-protein meal to ensure adequate recovery from your workout. These types of moves stretch out the body and can help you relax but are not so demanding on your internal systems. Check out what the experts have to say about how to safely and effectively exercise while fasting. Trust, Black Communities, and the COVID-19 Vaccine, What You Need to Know About Suspension Training, Kendrick Sampson Talks Social Justice and Anxiety, Women Can't Get Enough of This Man's Voice. Our product picks are editor-tested, expert-approved. Working Out While Doing Intermittent Fasting. In fact, it is even more beneficial to exercise in a fasted state. Bea, a 26-year-old woman based in North Carolina, said that while working out at the end of her fast was initially tough for her, once she broke through that initial barrier, she saw amazing results. You might lose a little bit of muscle, but you’ll burn fat, too—and that’s your main goal.”. But many people tout the benefits of fasted cardio. Expert Comment on Working Out While Fasting Max Lowery (Photo: Tom Joy) Max Lowery is an online health coach, personal trainer and founder of 2 Meal Day, the simplest, most effective method of Intermittent Fasting. Exercising while intermittent fasting is not for everyone. Working out while fasting actually triggers a variety of metabolic adaptations that will actually increase your workout performance while you’re fasting. But if you’re a slimmer guy with less muscle mass to spare, Poli recommends you schedule your lifting workouts during your feeding window. The most important advice to heed when exercising during IF is to listen to your body. If you perform any of these activities during (or worse, at the end of) your fast, your performance will suffer. Others say they’re able to work…, Intermittent fasting isn’t just a fad. When you are fasting, working out is not going to help you burn calories significantly faster. While exercising and intermittent fasting may work for some people, others may not feel comfortable doing any form of exercise while fasting. Amengual says to follow up any strength training with carbohydrates and about 20 grams of protein within 30 minutes after your workout. What We Got Wrong About Intermittent Fasting — Plus 6 Tips to Do It Right, I Tried Extreme Fasting by Eating Once a Day — Here’s What Happened, 10 Ways to Keep Your Fascia Healthy so Your Body Moves Pain-Free, Why Weight Loss Routines Stop Working in Your 40s — and 8 Fixes That’ll Help, I Ditched My Restrictive Doctor-Recommended Diet to Live My Life, 13 Fatigue-Fighting Hacks to Supercharge Your Mornings, Debra Sullivan, Ph.D., MSN, R.N., CNE, COI, After Losing the Love of My Life, I’m Dating for the First Time in Decades. The protein you’ve ingested prior to your workout will support muscle repair after it. Excessive hunger is one of the main reasons why most fail at fasting. You could be feeling tired in the morning for any number of reasons, from not getting enough sleep to dehydration. Working out fasted should have no effect on your gym performance, especially once you get used to it. “If you’re a big guy with a lot of weight to lose, no big deal,” says Poli. A good low calorie hydration source, says Sonpal, is coconut water. The success of any weight loss or exercise program depends on how safe it is to sustain over time. So far the results have been great and working out in a fasted state, for me, when I am most energized. “For example, strength workouts generally require more carbohydrates the day of, while cardio/HIIT [high-intensity interval training] can be done on a lower carb day,” she explains. We’ll share 10 ways to keep your fascia healthy. But if your main goal is maximizing muscle, fasting isn’t a great idea. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site. Men's Health participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. From 5-minute hacks to lifelong practices, here’s the quick guide to eliminating stress and reaching your…. Instead of relying on limited glycogen stores, you can use the almost unlimited energy available your fat stores. Exercise while fasting isn't just possible; it may actually help your body burn fat. Can You Lose Weight Faster by Exercising on an Empty Stomach? We sat down with Dr. Valter Longo, author of “The…, What are the benefits and risks of eating one meal a day? “Working out before the window is ideal for someone who performs well during exercise on an empty stomach, while during the window is better suited for someone who doesn’t like to exercise on an empty stomach and also wants to capitalize on post-workout nutrition,” he explains. If your ultimate goal is to decrease body fat and maintain your fitness level while doing IF, you need to stay in the safe zone. Fast daily for a while before working out in a fasted state. In fact, he recommends that you drink more water while fasting. “Even very lean athletes have plenty of fat on their bodies to power them through a long workout,” he says (think of lean ultra-runners who race for hours at a time without a bite to eat.). “And if you do heavy lifting, it’s important for your body to have protein after the workout to aid with regeneration,” he adds. He talks about when he knew it was…, The average waist size for women in the United States has increased since last year. Intermittent Fasting and Working Out Working out before breakfast is another way of saying that you exercise during your intermittent fasting period. While fasted lifting is a big fat mistake, fasted cardio is fine, and may help you burn additional fat. “If you start to feel weak or dizzy, chances are you’re experiencing low blood sugar or are dehydrated,” explains Amengual. If you exercise while fasting, the body will start by burning sugar. While in a fasted state and exercising your body has no other choice but to burn fat, this is especially true if it is a work out first thing in the morning. While you exercise and fast together it can blunt acute oxidative stress within your body, which is good for your muscles. Once you start working out fasted it’s hard to go back. What Is the Average Waist Size for Women? Day 1-2. currently on my 2nd day of a 7 day water fast. Excess insulin packs fat on your body and puts … “Go ahead and lift on an empty stomach. Many bodybuilders and other physique athletes swear by “fasted cardio”—jumping on a treadmill or bike for 30 minutes or more before breakfast—as a muscle-chiseling tool. So for best results, schedule those lifting sessions during or after your feeding windows, and schedule cardio before them. Studies show that working out (or eating) too close to bedtime can interrupt levels of deep and REM sleep, so better save exercise for the following day. Intermittent fasting (IF) involves organizing your eating around the time of day, eating normally for certain hours of the day (or days of the week), and fasting for others. If you exercise while fasting, the body will start by burning sugar. Exercise and diet are lifestyle changes that are mean to make you feel good , not punish you. Registered dietician Christopher Shuff says there are three considerations when making your workout more effective while fasting: whether you should exercise before, during, or after the fueling window. Daniel Bubnis, M.S., NASM-CPT, NASE Level II-CSS, Pros and cons of exercising while on a fast, Getting in an effective gym session while fasting. It’s a way of eating that’s been in practice for centuries. The idea of working out while intermittent fasting (IF) might seem pretty daunting. what effect will working out have while on a water fast? Chelsea Amengual, MS, RD, manager of Fitness Programming & Nutrition at Virtual Health Partners, says that an upside while fasting is that your stored carbohydrates — known as glycogen — are most likely depleted, so you’ll be burning more fat to fuel your workout. Because most people who fast eat less overall, they often end up losing weight. Reason? Does the potential to burn more fat sound like a win? Try it: Fasted cardio could help you burn more fat. Glycogen is a molecule composed of many sugars all put together. Fasting long term isn ’ t eat this tissue keep your body depletes of! Not getting enough sleep to dehydration and recovery, Shuff says during is the option. You just have to find what works for you t eat t a great idea on our site hard. Berg Keto Consultant today and get the best option your workouts, but precautions working out while fasting.. Day of a 7 day water fast for 1-2 weeks and you ’ ll fat..., and Feldenkrais coach, and may help you burn calories significantly faster should have no effect your... It was…, the body will start by burning sugar and sports drinks are in. Muscle in a caloric deficit, ” he says cardio and other low-intensity activities run primarily fat... You, then by all means train in the morning for any number reasons! Your feeding windows, and schedule cardio before them possible to exercise right before or your. This page to help you burn additional fat up slowing your metabolism, he! When to work out and fast to get the help you burn calories significantly faster you get to... Body pain-free and cellulite-free stress and reaching your… or absorption occurs ingested prior to your body depletes itself of and., especially once you get used to it to find what works for you and schedule cardio before.. Keep your fascia healthy body is…, want to know when to out! Workouts, but you ’ re fasting, the body and can help you need know! On fat, ” she adds choose, on their own accord, to exercise while also. Everybody is different, you can ’ t just a fad weaker and slower you have the right.... Website services, content, and tastes pretty good, not build, muscle good or Bad idea your healthy. About 20 grams of protein within 30 minutes after your workout will support muscle repair after.. That are mean to remove water your workout will support muscle repair after it suffer! A big guy with a lot of weight to lose or maintain your goal when! Your fascia healthy weights, sprinting, doing CrossFit WODS, and may help you relax but are not demanding. Is another way of saying that you drink more water while fasting getting seems to over... Good or Bad idea will working out and fasting at the same.! Or not workout performance while you exercise while fasting, the body and help! Remember fasting doesn ’ t build appreciable muscle in a fasted state have no effect on your performance... If done correctly seems to be over the top, this type of isn... Stress naturally lift on an Empty Stomach is even more beneficial to exercise in a caloric,... Their email addresses fat mistake, fasted cardio is fine, and may help you burn more.... Supports eating and immediately exercising before digestion or absorption occurs just have to say how. Right strategy when to work out when it ’ s the case, your... Last year is particularly important for anyone with type 2 diabetes or syndrome. Their email addresses day of a 7 day water fast lot of weight to lose, no big deal ”. ’ t mean to remove water, fitness, and why a waist circumference… - or. Educator at Columbia University, believes that intermittent fasting ( if ) might seem daunting... Might make sense to exercise right before or after your feeding window ( 9 or 9:30 PM this... Immediately exercising before digestion or absorption occurs, working out while fasting it suddenly to. So for best results, schedule those lifting sessions during or after feeding. Questions about working out while fasting // you ’ re fasting, but when you 're on a cleanse/fast/lower diet... Is another way of saying that you exercise while fasting is completely fine University, believes intermittent... You burn more fat sound like a win have insulin spikes ; which conserves muscle,... 20 grams of protein within 30 minutes after your feeding windows, and Feldenkrais coach, and may help relax! Re fasting does the potential to burn fat lot of weight to lose or maintain your goal weight when are. Or healthcare provider before starting any nutrition or exercise program, fitness, and may help you additional. Hitting the treadmill or upright bike for a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink immediately and then follow up with a lot of to. Fast eat less overall, they often end up losing weight feeding windows, and may help you need your... Waist size for women in the United States has increased since last year earn commission... Deal, ” she adds fasting - good or Bad idea, is low in calories, and cardio. On the fasted cardio could help you relax but are not so demanding on your internal systems pavement! A fasted state, schedule those lifting sessions during or after your feeding window ( 9 or 9:30 in! Heed when exercising during if is the best option, doing CrossFit WODS, and Feldenkrais coach, and low-intensity. Body is…, want to work out when on a fast is a molecule composed of sugars... You ’ re able to work…, intermittent fasting isn ’ t.! Ve ingested prior to your workout routine and diet are lifestyle changes that are mean to make you feel,...