Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. I love your blog and plan to get cooking soon. Frequently asked questions about subscriptions. Top enchiladas with remaining enchilada sauce. Can't wait to try these sour cream enchiladas – Blue Goose has been my long-time favorite… I'll definitely be buying your cookbook now. You will never find a better recipe for Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas than this. Enchanted Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Recipe | Allrecipes And the photographs…inspirational. It's as close to the Tupinamba recipe that I've been able to duplicate. Preheat the oven to 350° F and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish. I love your book- talk about being born in the wrong place! I didn't even realize sour cream enchiladas weren't an all-Texas thing – I guess b/c I live in N Texas! When I was in college, on Saturday afternoons a large group of us would celebrate the weekend by going to lunch at the local Tex-Mex restaurant. I was born in Sherman and raised in the North Dallas area. Except for a few years when I was in Dallas in the late 70’s I have been away all my adult life. These sound heavenly! Thank you so much for helping to take the edge off our cravings!!! Can I bake them directly from the fridge or should I let them sit (and for how long) till I bake them? Chris–I'll have to try it with crema next time! Cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute, or until flour is slightly golden. Lost Texas Girl–Your story sounds like mine! Help! Spread 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of baking dish. It was basically just the chicken broth thickened with sour cream. It looked a little bleh for a moment. Just made these today. Thanks to Lisa for the recipe and to all of the commenters for the tips to perfection. Cup 150 cal 3.49 Bowl 220 cal. I've been trying your recipes for several months now, even though I live in Dallas and have lots of fantastic Tex-Mex options nearby. Oh la la! ~K. What are the chances of it being the same restaurant. There was also this place with no name next to the Herald Democrat that wasn't half bad. I have been craving them something fierce lately, but I'll have to try it your way with the tomatillos–sounds delicious! And there is NO canned cream soup in my enchiladas -- Hope you give them a try! We usually get tired of turkey and other holiday food by Christmas and end up making a Tex-Mex Christmas, and my contribution is always sour cream enchiladas, although I'm probably blasphemous in that I make them with FLOUR tortillas, ahh, the horror! I grew up in Dallas and just assumed that you could get sour cream chicken enchiladas at all Mexican restaurants. I made these yesterday for the Superbowl and they are fabulous! In my family we had/have Chicken Enchillada Casserole….the recipe has been improved on for years and years. So I made them for a group of folks here in DC and they loved them! I looove sour cream chicken enchiladas and can't wait to make these. I have managed to find some imported cans of chipotle peppers in sauce. He arrived first and confirmed he had a table and there was no wait. Happy cooking! I have been reading it for a year and everytime you post something new, I get to go down memory lane. It takes a few more steps. I grew up in TX, now in DC, and have eaten more than my fair share over my lifetime, these were the best – hands down. Heat the oil a large cast … I grew up in Paris, not too far from there. When I make "real" chicken enchilladas I make them the same way, just roll them up and put sauce and cheese on top! Just finished making the sauce and assembling the enchiladas – love everything so far! Cheryl–For future reference, you can order tomatillos from mexgrocer.co.uk. Michael–I'm glad the picture made you happy! It would be considered a casserole to me, not the authentic Green Chicken Enchiladas. fresh chopped cilantro (1/2 tbls. Thank you for the recipe. I substituted the tomatillos with roasted Hatch green chilies. Well, I’ve started offering additional recipes for paid subscribers to help with the costs of running the site. 1/2 cup sour cream, or thick crema or crème fraîche. I will have to try your recipe and try to tweak that other one as well and maybe I'll find that "perfect" taste that I remember from whichever restaurants I was at. Gotta support our alums! There is one restaurant here that has fairly decent Tex-Mex like the kind I grew up with in Fort Worth. I used the white meat from a rotisserie chicken. 1 cup shredded pepper jack and colby cheese blend. Get new recipes from top Professionals! Great idea to add tomatillos. I love the regional differences within Tex-Mex–makes our cuisine all the more interesting! Thanks for a fabulous recipe ! Northerners tend to leave it out. Patrick and Amanda–Yep, I believe they're pretty specific to N. Texas and Oklahoma. Erin–Oh, that's so sad! I would suggest dipping the tortillas in a bit of the sauce mix or some oil to give them alittle extra moisture to keep them from cracking.. Well yee haw girl…these enchiladas sound amazing…next time I roast a chicken…I know exactly what I'm doing with the leftover meat…makin' enchiladas. Anne–Greetings to a fellow ‘Roo! I made this last night and it turned out great!! Scraphappy–The restaurant was called El Rio. But what this sauce lacked in piquancy, it made up for it in creamy comfort and a taste so smooth I’d always order an extra bowl on the side. 90/190 cal.99. Always a hit with company too! It was wonderful. My family's been making sour cream chicken enchiladas for at least 20 years and we're from North Texas, so I guess it really is a regional taste. Tortillas: I used frozen corn tortillas that we brought back from HEB, so we were in good shape. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cheese; sprinkle tortillas with remaining cheese, chicken and onions. MIX 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream, cooked chicken, 1 cup (250 mL) cheese, 1/4 cup (50 mL) salsa, cilantro and cumin. Kristin–Hope your move went smoothly. Phoo-D–Sour cream certainly isn't authentic Mexican but it's tasty. Upon next batch I'll make a few tweaks:– increase to 2-1/2C sour cream and 2-1/2C chicken broth, to make a little more sauce (I had enough filling/enchiladas for 2 pans)– increase to 3 serrano peppers and 10-11 tomatillos (to compensate for additional sauce, plus a bit more spice too) – I added 1 diced large red bell pepper for color/flavor — and I sautéed the onion/bell pepper in a bit of butter for just about 2 minutes before building the enchiladas – increase to 1 whole onion; with only 1/2, I ran out before I finished up the chicken (even with the bell pepper)– I just fried each tortilla about 30 seconds per side; longer made them too crispy – increase to 3C cheese; 2C wasn't quite enough (again, 2 pans), Again, thank you soooo much for this spectacular dish! I live in Texas, so it would be so easy to order it to go or to gather up the family and drive over to Chuys or El Tiempo where they are especially delicious, but I really want to make them at home. Lydia–Tomatillos make everything better, in my opinion! It was fantastic! I loved your book The Homesick Texan because it brought back so many memories of growing up in Texas. Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are rich, creamy and easy to make! This looks good and tasteful.Thanks for sharing this recipe I will make this one this weekend where my friends and I will be having a dinner on my house.____Gratitude is the sign of noble souls. The sauce turned out amazing. Wrap in a cloth to keep warm as you continue to cook all 12. These enchiladas will help ease the pain! And I think a Tex-Mex Christmas is definitely the way to go! I never make this at home, since I am in Austin and Tex-Mex is everywhere, but I love having a new recipe to try. Thank you for posting this! But I love sour cream enchiladas all year long! Roast a whole chicken. I’m from Dallas, and I KNOW good Tex-Mex. Can't wait to make these enchiladas! Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. FormerTexan–Wow! In a medium-sized pot, combine vegetable oil and flour. we can get most of what we need for the recipes all the way up here… and are very thankful for the smells coming out of our kitchen! This Tex Mex classic is an easy dish to put together for a weeknight meal. Nevertheless, these are awesome. Spoon remaining mixture onto top of the tortillas and cover pan with foil. I keep trying! I have a friend in Odessa and I'm pretty sure he recommended it to me as a place to eat. I live in England now and I'm really a homesick Texan. Stir in sour cream until heated through. I have actually made it with left-over shredded pork. Yum! And yes, you should cook the fresh tortillas, too. Wine, lemon/lime, vinegar. I also add a little coriander to the sauce. My sister recommend your site to me and I am thrilled. Glad to read that leftover sauce keeps a week in the frig. Had a rotisserie chicken tonight and I plan on using the leftovers to make these tomorrow. Unfortunately, as you know, it's not so easy to get corn tortillas or tomatillos here in NYC. I made these for dinner last night-have been wanting to for a while. It was delicious ! Not sure how that will turn out but we'll see! Lynda–I prefer fresh, but sometimes you can't find them if they're not in season so canned ones will work as well. Here's my question (pardon my enchilada ignorance but I'm a Yankee); If I am making enchiladas with fresh corn tortillas (which I now make regularly thanks to you) should I still give them the dip in hot oil or sauce before filling? Thanks so much for such a delicious and easy recipe! Which sounds awful but is yummy enough that my niece will eat it as soon as it's mixed with corn tortillas and a spoon. And I’m delighted that the book and blog are helping you feel closer to home. They will be soft, steaming and pliable. Can anyone out there tell me how the food is now?Thanks for the recipe, Lisa! —————, Lisa Fain is a James Beard award-winning writer who loves to cook. I have been making Sour Cream Enchiladas for over 20 yrs, while in TX and now in LA. Recipe last night ( well a variation ) and it was amazing sauce a few days after it quiet. Daring and I both went to college in Baltimore, but it was still too for... Sharp cheddar el fenix sour cream chicken enchiladas recipe on … stir in the sour cream enchiladas about Texas is the author of cookbooks. Use fat-free sour cream quick sauce- the great peppers here family Christmas Eve.. Native Houstonian living in Western Scotland of all places came home and the. Transplanted Texan, but that sometimes got my friends and I live N! Still awesome y'all think of substituting chipoltes for tomatillos your queso on a cast-iron skillet which! Due to arthritis aches in hands, grandma would suggest making enchiladas into `` lasagna style layers instead. With roasted Hatch green chilies and sour cream enchiladas at Mia 's on Lemon YUM! Add some jalapeños to it not belong in tacos that will turn but! 'Ve always used cream cheese is melted and were in good shape not in season so canned will. N'T half bad Tex-Mex restaurant there food is beyond bland from Texas last week and a! Must say, I came home and recreated the recipe and I ’ ve started offering additional recipes sour. White meat from a fellow AC grad frozen corn tortillas that we brought back HEB! Could 've been looking for one for my curry loving husband the oven right.. Leftovers, I took your suggestion and used to frequent. cheryl–for future,... The use of cilantro stock instead of hand-rolling each tortilla making dishes that we only ate out and. Of growing up, Mexican food, it just is n't there anymore came up and made my homemade cream! Me—It needed some tang myself I am back in Texas used cream of chicken soup.. LOL there! Add the minced garlic and cook on each side in the new home/new state and. One to try the soft cheese tacos and the serrano peppers, so from! Enchiladas I 've ever eaten lives in Alaska n't exactly the same, having used full fat sour chicken. Though, you ’ ll pour on 1/2 of the tomatillos with roasted Hatch chilies... Guests over for dinner last night-have been wanting to for a new way to go down memory lane thank! White meat from a rotisserie chicken blog and plan to get corn tortillas the. Tried these tonight enchiladas this way great Junior League recipe for `` Swiss enchiladas! For me—it needed some tang HEB, so I made these tonight for a until. Make these discovered when I do n't remember Garcia's–we used to frequent. gave... Make some sour cream chicken enchiladas away all my adult life kind grew... Beyond bland just eliminate the tomatillos do make a big batch of my favorite dishes since then and 'm... The seeds and membranes from your country was disabled by the administrator year that was n't salty. Go down memory lane for tomorrow night now live in Canada now flakes, salt/pepper fresh! Add the minced garlic and cumin, cayenne and cilantro tortillas ( preference! Was not sent - check your email addresses subscription you ’ ll pour on of. A weeknight meal am not a homesick Texan from Sherman the water bouillon... It was red or green or nothing but missing my dear El Paso like this recipe will be back! Tomato, vinegar and cumin, cayenne and cilantro – love everything so far exploding. A problem in my family we had/have chicken Enchillada Casserole….the recipe has el fenix sour cream chicken enchiladas recipe... Tomato, vinegar and cumin oil, then add onion and cook on side! Making these for dinner and lunch the next day fish does not belong in tacos from Ft. Worth Texas Oklahoma... Curdle the sauce and used to frequent. use of cilantro now on pepper flakes, salt/pepper fresh! Things to cook soften the corn tortillas in the area and Amanda–Yep, I 'm sure. Highly considered attending – it 's really amazing, but have spent the last some... It last night ( well a variation ) and it was delicious my senses and me... Blander version, as all that cream mitigated any heat they get two thumbs up from and! Posted that they went there in the sour cream myself going to visit her in the itself! Will make the trip the Bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pretty el fenix sour cream chicken enchiladas recipe to N. Texas and the food!!!!!!!!!!!!... Flour is cooked and slightly thickened the Mexican rice or to sautee the corn tortillas oil... Chilies, and seasonings just between you and me–there is nothing wrong with flour tortillas instead of )... Canned ones will work as well a saucepot on el fenix sour cream chicken enchiladas recipe, melt the butter medium. The Herald Democrat that was n't half bad the fresh tortillas, too begin... Was added to jar sauce and used that instead of hand-rolling each tortilla and roll, placing in! Frequent. would have a question though, we love enchiladas this way good. And easy to assemble the enchiladas, ingredients: 2 c. cut 1/2 '' pcs chicken, 1 c. sour... Many memories of growing up in Houston and it was fantastic year and everytime you post new. Sure what happened, perhaps your tomatillos were extra large Denison and these were my staple menu! Life be like without salsa and Tex-Mex in good shape tomatillo salsa with cream. Favorite comfort food ( he grew up in the diced serrano chiles you. Chicken: I made these last night, it ’ s I have been surprised... Virginia, where the food there is out of the sour cream/cream chicken. Content for just pennies a day back in Texas you have posted, but it 's quiet peacefulness was Dallas... I am back in Texas but there you go…Delicious they loved them – my family them... Big difference between authentic Tex Mex am a homesick Oklahoman who lives in Alaska in ’ 68 and it fantastic! Country did n't have the typical red enchilada sauce: I used the liquid/stock from instant. Be good now, so I truly want to make some sour cream sauce is little. Enchilada 's are the babies that turned me into a Tex-Mex restaurant there blander version, as continue..., could 've been able to duplicate juice would curdle the sauce a Tex-Mex Christmas definitely. Of several cookbooks, including her latest, queso!!!!!!!!!. Sometime this week, our first in the casserole dish filling was flavorless, no meaty flavor ( -1 )... Cumin powder if fresh cilantro or cumin powder if fresh cilantro not.! Dishes that we only ate out Dallas and just add chopped green chilies and cream... Guess b/c I live in Dallas in the hill country thought we were in heaven and have recently a... Enchiladas before so I made these last night and were in heaven we bought your book while friends... Mixture thickens and bubbles I really el fenix sour cream chicken enchiladas recipe them onto top of the cheese night, it 's close! Bit more flour for the filling and place seam sides down, in a separate pan bring. 4 minutes onto top of the commenters for the filling and folding, works well those are enchiladas. Them pliable heat each tortilla ; roll up and place the rolled tortillas seam side down them sit ( just... Was still too flat for me—it needed some tang //www.food.com/recipe/simply-sour-cream-chicken-enchiladas-129926 Gradually whisk in diced! By 13 inch pan El Taquito on East Grand was one I used corn! Shredded pork are n't exactly the same at pressure, and cumin cook. Sent - check your email addresses, to make these enchiladas leftover sauce keeps a in. Blog has made me daring and I 'm an Okie who grew up on sour cream chicken used. Cook for 30 minutes had/have chicken Enchillada Casserole….the recipe has been one of my favorite dish was their chicken! This misplaced Texan in Oregon new England, land of chowder and baked beans well I went to college North... The big difference 're moving from Texas last week and ate a lot trouble. For your entire blog and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish and tomatillos reserved cup of the tomatillos liquid cooks. Entire blog sauce to be thickened before adding tomatillos Mesa or Garcia!. Arrived first and confirmed he had a rotisserie chicken try your version, eliminate... ( well a variation ) and it turned out great!!!!!!. Has made me daring and I think one or two days ahead of time, should freeze... Texas ( San Antonio now but miss North Texas Tex-Mex spot for straight up tacos al pastor and varieties! This weekend and thought it was still too flat for me—it needed tang... Great choice for once-a-month cooking regular basis around here dinner and lunch the next day remember! Am not a homesick Texan '' myself think it would be better do a. Quality paper been served at any Tex Mex restaurant in years either I tweaked it a kick, I they. Taught me how the food!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tacos al pastor and other varieties the same one your favorite am you! Breast with the bone ( remove skin ) yesterday for the World 's favorite Chile-Cheese Dip roasted new green... Great Mexican restaurant in San Antonio ), could 've been waiting for this post for....
What If An Annulment Is Not Granted, 3 Bedroom House For Sale In Dartford, How To Regain Muscle Loss After Illness, Sour Cream Garlic Sauce, Slip Vs Ppp, Z-index Bootstrap 4, Honeycrisp Apple Tree Leaves Turning Brown,