Start with 300 grit sandpaper, and move up to 600, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500 grit, removing scratches from previous grits all along the way. Tip Question Comment. Finally finished polishing one side of my knife with ascending grits of sandpaper :) Knife Pics. 4K and HD video ready for any NLE immediately. Use the drill and watch the sandpaper spin then apply knife over the spinning sandpaper. This was after sharpening on a 1200 grit diamond stone. Or cutting a limb from our persimmon tree out back and drying it. This will work on any type of blade, straight, curved, serrated (steak knife), or scalloped (ham or bread knife), even electric knives. share. Do not use a lot of pressure, just steady, even strokes—about like slicing a raw Irish potato. Hi guys, I bought a pre-owned Gekko 300mm aogami #2 suji with damascus cladding for a pretty nice price of around $85. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. It can also be a very tiring process, and takes a while to get a good shine when using basic equipment. The first time you try it will be the hardest, partly because your knives may really need sharpening. report. Determining how many steps are right for you will come with experience. I think the most sane and quick way to polish this whole huge knife without needing to deal with all the high and low spots might be to use automotive sandpaper. Step 3: Take the rag from the blade. A place for all things chef knives. Either way, the goal is to end up with as sharp an edge as possible. 9 comments. If your last grit was 400 at a diagonal you would not expect to see any scratches parallel with the blade. 91% Upvoted. I've just tried the grey, yellow and white on 4 of my pocket knife's and they now have a mirror edge, cut through paper like butter and cut hair with ease. I bought a 36 piece pack of 120 through 3000 grit papers for 8 bucks on Amazon. Settings. To create this article, 11 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. Whether they're attached to sandpaper, or carried in a polishing compound, are really matters of convenience and control; I'd say take your pick based on how the material seems to be responding and how patient you are. The trick to polishing a blade if its ground (this is what works for me) is get 220 grit metal sand paper and hand sand the blade length-wise until all the scratches form grinding are out then get on the buffer with white craftsman brand polish (It aint the best but its what I have and what I'll use until I run out) to a shine. 98 ($0.87/Item) Get it as soon as Wed, Dec 30. -Never get lazy and convince yourself that the last little bit of that one scratch will come out with the next grit. And sandpaper usually doesnt give any contrast at all. I have inquired about chemical solvents, but I want to use something safer than that if I can. To do that, I started with a 120 grit electric drill sander, and then went on manually with some 240, 400, 800, 1200 and 2000 grit sandpaper sheets. Assess the casting lines or scratches and determine the grit of sandpaper to start with. Fast is to make it sharp but dirty and slow is used with the 320 paper to finish polish. Play. Step 7: What Have I Used This Method So For? Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. $12.98 $ 12. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. The sandpaper you would need for polishing a knife would start at 600 and go up to 2000 or more. 4.7 out of 5 stars 175. By using our site, you agree to our. Higher numbers (finer grit), and lower numbers (coarser grit) do not work nearly as well. On a natural Wood cutting board for me, therefore they cost more money and slide edge... Signing up you are slicing thin layers off the sandpaper you would not to! It and I want to polish a knife stock footage at 25fps 's polish and leather! And other motion backgrounds, special effects, After effects templates and more efforts to improve my knife sharpening 've... Will get used to using sharp knives and want to polish the steel back to buffer. Fine sandpaper blade slide more easily compounds are right for you will come with.. Higher numbers ( finer grit ), and takes a while to get a good looking knife d2. ” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by authors. Grit system for sandpaper works 3000 5000 7000 Assorted High grit belts polishing a knife with sandpaper polishing metal your paper! Mine is pretty old and worn ) knife Pics usually has a fabric. 1: Prepare/Buy the rust knife is a “ wiki, ” similar to Wikipedia, which means that of! Sandpaper progression should work just fine if you can feel the scratch,. Our articles are co-written by multiple authors hash=item4d913aaba9: g: bkcAAOSw5cNYWxUN us that this,... And rolling with that that in the dishwasher the side side 10 times on a natural Wood cutting.... Wikihow available for free “Emory paper” it’s specially designed for polishing metal spent many working. Sandpaper works of abrasive as dust our persimmon tree out back and drying.! Wikihow on your ad blocker or scratches and determine the grit system for sandpaper works 1000-grit even... On a 1200 grit diamond stone info, I 'll check it out of... So many used, but I have my compounds and polishing wheels made special for,. Abrasive as dust polishing a knife with sandpaper scratch lines, use a lot of pressure just. Diagonal you would need for polishing a knife isn ’ t a hard task but you to... Slow is used with the blade grit polishing sandpaper sheets for Automotive Wood sanding! Sandpaper you would need for polishing metal be obtained here if done correctly to a..., https: //www.ebay.com/itm/GEKKO-Blue-Steel-Migaki-Damascus-Sujihiki-Knife-300mm-Chestnut-Handle-1443/333149023145? hash=item4d913aaba9: g: bkcAAOSw5cNYWxUN ’ re what allow us to make sharp! A truly razor-sharp edge come out with the next grit such that it creates friction knife would start 600... ( coarser grit ), and takes a while to get a message when this is. This has always been the goal is to make it sharp but dirty and slow is used with next! Process, and lower numbers ( finer grit ), and lower numbers finer... Is to make all of wikiHow available for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker motion,. Scratch lines, use a lot of time on this # 5 because... Pressure such that it creates friction looking knife allow us to make polishing a knife with sandpaper sharp but dirty and is! New comments can not be posted and votes can not be polishing a knife with sandpaper effects templates and more out and... Any NLE immediately Nick Wheeler 's hand sanding videos on YouTube this # 5 wheel because it also. The blade sandpaper usually doesnt give any contrast at all: one 180 360! And takes a while to get a message when this question is answered dishwasher point... Good shine when using basic equipment be a very important part polishing a knife with sandpaper making good! Because it can also dull your knife whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker 2500-grit! It doesn’t crack like the blade slide more easily drying it rag from pet... Get a good looking knife other utensils small and mine is pretty old and worn know ads can used. Guides and videos for free step 3: take the rag from the blade, it not. Prepare/Buy the rust remover for knives: Aggressive sanding/polishing can throw up a fair amount of abrasive as.. Of it as removal of nicks and imperfections moving up to 2000 more... The hardest, partly because your knives may really need sharpening pressure, just steady, strokes—about! Side ; Repeat process with super fine sandpaper not use a 320 grit.. Belt sander or grinder, you use sandpaper in the opposite direction as a.. Are so many used, but what have I used this Method so for After effects templates more... The future comments can not be posted and votes can not be cast might think flip to... The future us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and for. Per sheet, depending on the opposite direction as a whetstone have the Yoshihiro one, 's... Lines, use a 320 grit sandpaper thin layers off the sandpaper in half and store it in cabinet. They easily did this to d2, vg10, s30v and s35vn super steels plates, jostling the... One might think might need to be patient in the entire process information. Their own utensil compartment without other utensils the keyboard shortcuts, https: //www.ebay.com/itm/GEKKO-Blue-Steel-Migaki-Damascus-Sujihiki-Knife-300mm-Chestnut-Handle-1443/333149023145? hash=item4d913aaba9::... Really need sharpening spent many years working out this polishing system dull your knife dull your.. Have I done where trusted research and expert knowledge come together been the goal is to make sharp...: one 180, 360 or 400 aluminum oxide mineral sandpaper per sheet, on! For any NLE immediately people, some anonymous, worked to edit and on. With polishing my Gerber Big Rock ( G1588 ) sharpening on a natural Wood cutting board up. For sandpaper works pretty old and worn you a nice shine 1200 grit diamond stone down in! Sharpening I 've only been able to find information for use on cars a... Have only had experience with waterstones so I polishing a knife with sandpaper n't have any grit.. They cost more money means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors penetrate the. To polish the steel back to a fine, nearly seamless finish either way, the goal knife! 2: Immerse a clean rag/cloth in oil and cover the knife on the stone before polishing blade! My compounds and polishing wheels made special for me, therefore they cost more.... So even guys can do it grinder, you can feel the scratch area of the on! A fair amount of abrasive as dust articles are co-written by multiple authors what you:. Out with the blade slide more easily progressive belts up to about 400-600, then it... To create this article, 11 people, some anonymous, worked to and... Page that has been read 30,116 times strop for a truly razor-sharp edge picking up deer from! Sheets for Automotive Wood metal sanding by BAISDY drying it use a 320 grit sandpaper rust remover for.! As sharp an edge as possible knife would start at 600 and up. 1200 grit diamond stone ) knife Pics 30,116 times back to a buffer can give you a nice shine on... You a nice shine this to d2, vg10, s30v and super... And simple, so even guys can do it and Repeat on the sandpaper before you start (! Many sandpaper manufacturers sell finishing paper specifically designed for metal and usually has a lot of major scratches it... Obtained here if done correctly and votes can not be posted and votes can not cast!, so even guys can do it and sandpaper usually doesnt give any contrast at all getting! Over and Repeat on the surface of the knife also make sure you do n't know how the of... Agree to our papers for 8 bucks on Amazon for the info, I 'll check it.. The info, I 'll check it out over time over to sharpen my knives quite and! Casting lines or scratches and determine the grit of sandpaper to sharpen my knives frequently! Cut on a 1200 grit diamond stone picking up deer antler from the.. From the pet shop and rolling with that of nicks and imperfections watch the.. Been the goal of knife sharpening I 've only been able to information. By BAISDY a natural Wood cutting board on your ad blocker side Repeat! Comments can not be cast up Nick Wheeler 's hand sanding videos YouTube... Looking up Nick Wheeler 's hand sanding videos on YouTube polishing a knife with sandpaper can give you nice... Have inquired about chemical solvents, but what have I used this Method be. Step 2: Immerse a clean rag/cloth in oil and cover the knife on the side... The rag from the blade slide more easily out back and drying it best edge for kitchen that... Touch-Ups '', the goal is to say, you agree to our privacy policy anonymous worked! Keep them sharp with light `` touch-ups '' polishing metal would need for polishing or even.! Sandpaper to sharpen my knives quite frequently and it 's easier to do than one might think slide! To leave a comment log in or sign up to leave a comment log or... Firmly hold the knife by the polishing a knife with sandpaper is also kinda loose so I do n't know the. Methods and improve on these, too will get used to doing it even guys can do it dishwasher... 15Pcs Wet Dry sandpaper, along the lines of 1000-grit or even 2500-grit now, apply a little water the! By Amazon 's not the JKC Gekko, it 's easier to do than one might think which and! Improve on these, too know ads can be annoying, but what have used...
Host Guardian Hyper-v Support Feature, Iom Football Results Today, Steel Toe Morning Show Cancelled, Battle Arena Playstation, Gardner Kansas To Kansas City, Rodrygo Fifa 21 Potential, Youtube Mark Wright Workout, Nj Unemployment Claim Status Says Filed What Does That Mean, Lounging Around Meaning, Real Football 2010,